Prawn masala is a simple dish packed with lot of flavors. I have prepared this recipe as a dry version so that it can be served as a starter. This recipe can also be made as a semi dry gravy and served with Roti and Chapatti. The same recipe can be prepared with chicken or mutton or egg. Vegetarian version of this recipe can be prepared using Potatoes or mushrooms.
Checkout other Prawn recipes available in this space
- 750 Grams Prawns
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 3 Green Chilli
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
For Sauting and Grinding
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- 10 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Onion Roughly chopped
- 1 Tomato
For Cooking Prawns
For Roasting and Grinding Masala
- Heat oil in a Pan for sauting the masalas
- Add in Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Pepper, Coriander Seeds, Poppy seeds, Dry Red Chillis, Cloves, Cinnamon and Cardamom.
- Saute for few minutes. Add in Onion and Tomato and saute them for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down completely.
- Blend into a paste. Use water only if needed. Set it aside.
- Heat a oil in a wok.
- Add in Green Chilli and Curry Leaves. Saute them.
- Add in the masala paste, ginger garlic paste and cook until the masalas are cooked well.
- Add in the Cleaned and washed prawns.
- Mix them gently. Close the Wok and allow it to cook for 2 minutes.
- Prawns releases water while cooking. Cook until the water has dried up.
- Now the Prawn Masala is ready to serve.
- While blending the roasted masala into a paste do not add water. As this is a dry recipe adding more water may not give the needed consistency.
- Prawns releases water while cooking. So do not add water.
- Do not over cook the prawns as they might get rubbery.
Step by step photos on how to make Prawn Masala:
- Add oil for roasting and grinding into a pan. Heat it. Add in cumin seeds.
2. Add in Fennel Seeds and Pepper.
3. Add in Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon.
4. Add in Poppy Seeds and Dry Red Chillis.
5. Saute for few minutes. Add in the Roughly chopped onion.
6. Add in chopped tomato. Saute for few minutes. Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool down.
7. Add the mixture into the blender and blend into a paste. Add water only if needed. Set this aside.
To cook Prawns
8. Add oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Cumin Seeds. Allow them to splutter.
9. Add in green Chilli and Curry Leaves. Saute for few minutes.
10. Add in the Ground Masala Paste. Cook until the masalas are cooked well. Add in Ginger Garlic Paste and cook until the oil separates in the sides of the wok.
11. Add in the washed prawns.
12. Mix them gently. Start cooking. Prawn releases some water.
13. Cook Until the water evaporates. It took 10 minutes for me to cook the prawns. Switch off the flame.
Delicious Prawn Masala is now ready to ready.