Sponge is a very light and delicate cake. It is a more dry style cake, which requires a bit of simple syrup on the layers to make it shine at it’s best. The combinations are endless here with this really great, basic cake recipe. This Sponge cake relies on foamed eggs to give it is lightness, airiness. This recipe has a bit of baking powder in it. The cake turned out perfectly soft. You can then fill the cake with mixtures like jam and/or buttercream. This recipe is the perfect for those who have never baked before and are looking for an easy beginners recipe. If you fill your sponge with fresh cream, store in an airtight container in the fridge, if you opt for a simple jam filling store in an airtight container on the kitchen side or in a cake tin. . Checkout Eggless stove top sponge cake here.
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract / Vanilla Powder
- 3 Eggs
- Break open all the eggs into a mixing bowl and start beating them using an electronic blender. Beat until the eggs foam up. Set them aside.
- Take another mixing bowl. Place a sieve over it. Add the dry ingredients. Whole wheat flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Vanilla powder, Powdered sugar and sift the mixture.
- Mix them so that all the powders blend well.
- Add in the foamed egg. Add in the butter. Add in milk in portions and start mixing them.
- Keep adding milk and mixing until a flowy thick batter is ready.
- Grease the baking tin with generous oil or butter.
- Add in the cake batter. Tap the baking tin so that the air bubbles would escape.
- Place the cake tin into the Oven and bake for 40 minutes at 180 deg c.
- Insert a skewer into the cake to check if the skewer comes out clean. Else bake again for 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out. Allow it to cool down completely. Use a knife to release the sides of the cake. Invert the cake tin and take the cake out.
- Slice the cake and serve them.
- After Beating the eggs and foaming up the egg mixture do not leave it idle for more time or the air incorporated into the eggs might escape and you may not get the desired foamy cake.
- Baking time completely depends on the Microwave used and the Size of the Baking tin used. Hence read your oven user manual carefully before you start baking.
- Do not slice the cake when it is hot it would crumble.
- Make sure all the ingredients are in room temperature before you start making a cake.
- If you don't have a electronic blender then use the whipping blade in the mixie to beat the egg.
Step by step photos on how to make Sponge Cake:
- Break open the eggs into a mixing bowl. (Add in Vanilla Extract in this stage if you are using liquid vanilla extract). Beat the eggs using a egg beater until the eggs foam up.
2. Beat the eggs until the eggs raise 3 times the original quantity.
3. In a Mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients. Add in whole wheat flour.
2. Add in Powdered Sugar. Add in Baking Soda and Baking Powder.
3. Add in Vanilla powder. Sift the Mixture to remove any lumps. Mix them once.
4. Add in the beaten eggs into the flour mixture.
5. Add in Butter and mix gently.
6. Add in milk little by little and mix them gently.
7. Stop adding milk when the batter reaches a flowy thick consistency. Grease the baking tray with generous oil or butter.
8. Pour in the cake batter. Tap gently if any air bubbles then they would escape.
9. Preheat the OTG for 10 minutes at 180 deg C. Place the cake tin into the OTG and Bake for 180 Deg C for 40 minutes. After that insert a skewer into the cake to see of the cake sticks to the skewer. If it comes out clean the cake is clean then the cake is done. Else bake again for 10 more minutes.
10. Take the cake out of the OTG and allow it to cool down completely. Using a knife release the sides of the cake. Invert the cake.
11. Slice the cake and enjoy.
If can be enjoyed as a snack.