[Sambar, Tiffin Sambar, Sambar with coconut , Coconut sambar, dal]
Coconut Sambar Recipe
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 min||| Total time:30 min|
|Recipe type: Main Course||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
Toor Dal – 1/2 Cup
Brinjal – 2 Small
Onion – 1 or Shallots/Small Onion – 8
Tomato – 2
Asafoetida – 1/4 Teaspoon
Coconut – 1/2 cup scraped
Dry red chillies – 4
Jeera – 2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – 1/2 cup
Step by Step Photos on how to make Tiffin Sambar with coconut:
- Wash the Toor dal and add it in a pressure cooker.
- Add Chopped Onion, tomato and brinjal. Add Asafoetida.
- Add water upto the level of ingredients and pressure cook for 3 whistles. After the first whistle simmer the flame for next 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to release on its own.
- Dry roast the dry red chillies until crispy.
- Add grated coconut, jeera and roasted dry chillies and grind it to a paste.
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure is released.
- Mash the contents using a hand blender. This step is completely optional. I like to do it as all the veggies are mixed and it is easy to feed kids.
- Add the coconut paste and curry leaves into the sambar mixture. Add Salt to taste. Cook until the coconut blends well with the sambar.
- Yummy sambar is ready to be served with crispy Dosa
- Sambar Powder is not included in this recipe. Dal, coconut and roasted chillies brings in the taste.
Coconut Sambar tastes best when served with crispy dosa. It is suitable to be served with idli, dosa and roti.