|Prep time: 5 Min||| Cook time: 10 Min||| Total time:20 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
|Taste: Tangy and Spicy|
Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Garlic pods – 8 small
Tomato – 1 big
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Dry red Chillis – 3 or 4
Tamarind – Amla Sized
Water – 2 Cups
Salt – To taste
Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon
Step by Step Photos on how to make Tomato Rasam:
- Add Cumin Seeds, Pepper, Garlic into a blender and blend them into a paste. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add in Mustard and Dry red chillies and saute them.
- Reduce flame and add in turmeric Powder and Asafoetida, give a quick stir. Add in the ground paste. Allow it to saute well. Add in chopped tomatoes and saute them well.
- Meanwhile soak tamarind in water. Squeeze out the juice and discard the waste. Add the tamarind water into the sauted tomatoes.
- Add water and salt to taste. Cook until the mixture starts bubbling. Once it starts bubbling switch off the flame and garnish the coriander leaves.
- While adding Turmeric powder if you wish to add Rasam powder that can be added.
- Do not allow the rasam to boil when it starts bubbling switch off the flame.
- If you wish to add more spice add chilli powder along with the turmeric powder.
- Curry leaves can also be added with the pepper mixture and blended that again gives good flavour.
Tomato Rasam is served with hot rice and any vegetable stir fry...