Tomato Rice, Thakkali Sadam
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 min||| Total time:30 Min|
|Recipe type: Variety Rice||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
|Taste: Spicy and Tangy|
Steamed Rice – 2 Cups
Onion – 2 or shallots – 15 to 20
Tomatoes – 3
Peanuts – 2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoon
Garlic – 4 pods
Curry Leaves – few
Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt to Taste
Step by Step Photos on how to make Tomato Rice:
- Peel Shallots and Garlic. Chop Shallots, Garlic and Tomato. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a Cooking pan. Add Mustard and allow to splutter. Add Peanut and saute them for 2 minutes. Add Shallots/Onion and saute them until glossy. Add Curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add Chopped tomatoes and cook them until mushy. Add Garam Masala, Turmeric powder and salt. Saute them. If the mixture is too dry add 1 tablespoon of water and keep cooking.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. At this stage switch off the flame and add the boiled plain rice and mix them well. Tomato rice is now ready.
- Instead of chopping tomatoes it can also be pureed and cooked until the oil seperates in the side of the cooking pan.
- The quantity of peanuts can be increased or decreased as per your taste.
Tomato Rice goes well with Onion Raitha. It pairs well with Papad or chips. My personal favorite is Tomato rice with roasted coconut chutney and boiled egg/Egg Burji.