Unripe Banana Stir Fry / Valakkai Puttu is a very common dish prepared in tirunelveli. It is simply stir frying Unripe banana with Coconut. This Recipe is full of flavour and mild. It tastes good with any spicy gravies like Puli Kuzhambu. Instead of preparing Banana roast this is a nice variation. Checkout Valakkai Puttu with Paneer here.
Unripe Banana Stir Fry / Valakkai Puttu is a great side dish for spicy gravies and steamed rice.
- 2 Unripe Banana
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Channa Dal
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Grated
Chop the top and bottom of the unripe banana. Cut the Raw banana into 3 pieces and stem them in a steamer for 12 minutes.
Take them out of the steamer and cool them completely.
Peel them and grate slowly in a grater.
Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
Add in Channa Dal. Add in Onion, chopped green chilli and curry leaves.
Add in the grated banana and mix gently. Add salt to taste.
Add in grated coconut and mix gently,
Valakkai Puttu is now ready to serve
Step by step photos on how to make Unripe Banana Stir Fry / Valakkai Puttu:
- Chop the head and tail of the unripe banana. Cut the banana into 3 pieces. Steam them for 12 minutes.
2. Cool them down. Peel the Bananas.
3. Grate the banana.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
5. Add in channa dal and saute it.
6. Add in Chopped Green chilli. Add in Curry leaves.
7. Saute them. Add in the Raw banana.
8. Add in salt to taste. Mix them gently. Saute gently for few minutes.
9. Add in Grated coconut and saute them for few minutes.
Valakkai Puttu is now ready to serve.