Puli Kuzhambu / Tamarind based gravies are very common in tamilnadu. It has a strong sour and spice taste. Valakkai Puli Kulambu / Unripe Banana Tamarind Gravy is a gravy made with Unripe banana cooked in Tamarind sauce. It is good to serve with hot steamed rice and Fryams/Papad. This is one gravy that can be made without coconut.
Valakkai Puli Kulambu / Unripe Banana Tamarind Gravy is a spicy and tangy gravy to be served with hot steamed rice and Fryams
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 8 Shallots Chopped
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 5 Pods Garlic
- 2 Medium Tomatoes Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 Teasspoon Sambar Powder
- 1 Banana Unripe
- Water as required
- Tamarind Amla sized
Peel and slice the Unripe Banana. Keep them in water until it is cooked.
Soak the Tamarind in water.
Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Wait until the mustard splutters.
Add in onion, garlic and curry leaves and saute until onion gets glossy.
Add in tomatoes and salt to taste and saute until tomatoes gets mushy.
Drain water and add in the banana slices. Mix gently.
Mash the tamarind with fingers and extract the pulp and discard waste.
Add this tamarind pulp into the banana and let it cook.
Add in sambar powder. Add in water. Add salt as per taste.
Let it cook until all the ingredients cook well.
Now the Valakkai Puli Kulambu / Unripe Banana Tamarind Gravy is now ready to serve.
- Do not cook the banana for more time or it would get a sticky consistency.
- Until cooking keep the banana slices in water or it would turn dark.
Step by step photos on how to make Valakkai Puli Kulambu / Unripe Banana Tamarind Gravy:
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad dal.
2. After the mustard splutters add in onion and saute until glossy.
3. Add in Curry Leaves and saute it. Add in Garlic and keep sauting.
4. Add in tomatoes and salt to taste.
5. Saute until the tomatoes get mushy. Peel and slice the raw banana. Keep them in water until we add them into tomatoes.
6. Add in unripe banana slices. Mix them.
7. Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Mash it and extract the pulp and discard the waste. Add the tamarind water into the mixture.
8. Add in sambar powder, salt to taste. Mix them gently.
9. Cook until the ingredients blend well. Adjust water consistency.
10. Now the delicious Puli Kulambu is ready to serve.