A simple side dish for Appam/ Idiyappam/ Poori cooked in the goodness and flavour of coconut milk. A stew can be prepared with a single vegetable or multiple vegetables. Here in this recipe i have prepared with multiple vegetables like carrot beans and potato. This recipe is filled with nutrients, a healthy way to start your day. Green peas is another awesome ingredient that can be added to vegetable stew. Here goes the recipe...
Checkout Other Stew Recipes
Potato Stew Recipe
Potato Stew Recipe
Kerala Vegetable Stew
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 Min||| Total time:30 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
|Taste: Mildly Spicy|||Source : Kannamma Cooks|
Potato - 1 big
Carrot - 1
Beans - 6
Curry Leaves - few
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil - 1 tablespoon
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cardamom - 3
For Coconut Milk:
Coconut Milk - from 1 coconut
To Grind and Paste:
Cashew - 20
Khas Khas / Poppy Seeds - 2 teaspoon
Salt to Taste
Step by Step Photos on how to make Kerala Vegetable Stew:
- Soak poppy seeds and cashews in water for 15 minutes. Add them into a blender and blend them into a paste. Chop the vegetables into smaller pieces. Boil the veggies with salt and water. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan, Add onion and saute it until glossy. Add curry leaves and saute it.
- Add the boiled veggies and ginger garlic paste and the ground paste and saute for 2 minutes in low flame. Add the Thin Coconut Milk and bring it to boil. Leave it to boil until the contents are cooked well.
- Add the thick coconut milk and switch off the flame.
- Yummy and delicious Vegetable stew is now ready to serve.
- While boiling vegetables add only minimum water. Since the veggies are chopped pressure cooking is not required.
- After adding the thick coconut milk switch off the flame immediately or the coconut milk would cuddle.
Vegetable stew is an excellent side dish for Appam, Idiyappan, and poori. As an alternate it scan also be served along with chapatti rice or bread.
Alboni - Boni's Healthy Twists says
Good recipe. Goes well with idiyappam !!!