Barnyard Millet Pongal / Kuthiraivali Ven Pongal is a simple and easy variation from the regular Ven Pongal / Spicy Pongal recipe. Barnyard Millet Pongal takes very less time compared to the Traditional Ven Pongal Recipe. I have not made to pongal too mushy as i like to have little bit of grains. Barnyard Millet Ven Pongal can be served with Coconut Chutney and Pongal Sambar.
Barnyard Millet Pongal / Kuthiraivali Ven Pongal
Barnyard Millet Pongal / Kuthiraivali Ven Pongal is a healthy breakfast recipe.
- 1 Cup Barnyard Millet / Kuthiraivali Arisi
- ¼ Cup Moong Dal
- 3 Cups Water
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Ghee
- 2 Green Chilli Chopped
- ½ Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ Tablespoon Pepper
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Grated
- Dry Roast Barnyard Millet and Moong Dal seperately.
- Soak Moong Dal in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat water in a pot and add start heating. When the water starts boiling add in millet moong dal with salt.
- Cook until the millet and moong dal are cooked soft. I have not made it too mushy and like to keep it grains. If using a pressure cooker pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Heat Ghee in a wok and add in Cumin Seeds, Pepper, Green Chillis, Grated Ginger and Curry Leaves and saute them.
- Add them into the millet mixture. Mix them gently and switch off the flame.
- Healthy Millet Pongal is now ready to serve.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Barnyard Millet Pongal / Kuthiraivali Ven Pongal
- Dry roast Moong Dal and Barnyard Millet seperately. Heat Water in a pot when the water starts boiling add in Barnyard Millet. Soak the moong dal for 30 minutes.
- Add in Moong Dal. Start cooking until the dal and millet cooks well.
- Add in salt to taste. Keep Cooking until the the millet and dal cooks well.
- Heat Ghee in a wok. Add in Cumin Seeds and Pepper.
- Add in Curry Leaves, Green Chillis and Grated Ginger. Saute them until they are sauted well.
- Add them into the millet mixture. Switch off the flame.
- Healthy Pongal Recipe is now ready to serve.