Bottle Gourd Halwa / Lauki Halwa is a indian dessert. Halwa is generally made from Carrot or Beetroot but it tastes good when prepared with Bottle Gourd too. Bottle Gourd is sauted in ghee and cooked in milk. This halwa is a looks geenish in color and make it interesting.
Bottle Gourd Halwa / Lauki Halwa
- 2 Cups Bottle Gourd Grated
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 10 Cashews
- Peel Bottle Gourd and Grate it.
- Heat ghee in a wok. Add in the cashews and roast it until golden brown.
- Remove the cashews from ghee and set them aside.
- Add in the grated bottle gourd and saute for few minutes.
- Add in the milk and keep cooking until all the water evaporates.
- Add in sugar and cardamom and keep cooking.
- At this stage the halwa gets watery again. Keep stirring until the halwa gets the non sticky consistency.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with cashews.
- Delicious dessert is now ready to serve.
- Do not use tender bottle gourd it gets too watery.
- If using completely ripe bottle gourd then the center portion must be discarded
Step by step photos on how to make Lauki Halwa / Bottle Gourd Halwa:
- Heat ghee in a wok. Add in Cashews and roast them until golden brown. Take them out of ghee and set aside.
2. Add in the grated Bottle Gourd. Saute for few minutes. Add in the milk.
3. Keep cooking until the milk thickens. Add in sugar.
4.Now the sugar melts and the mixture gets watery. Add in cardamom. Add in a pinch of salt.
5. Keep cooking until the mixture gets thick and comes to a consistency that does not stick to the vessel. Now switch off the flame and garnish with cashews.
Delicious Halwa is now ready to serve.
Leave a Reply