Dal Kichadi is a humble and easy one pot recipe. It is one among the Comfort food. Dal Kichadi is tasty and Packed with protein. Dal Kichadi is addictive when served with a dash of ghee. It can be served with Fryams or Papad. Rice and Moong dal is cooked together with tampering. Finally topped up with ghee. I love to have it with Potato Fry.
Dal Kichadi is an easy one pot meal. It is one of the comfort and tasty food.
- ½ Cup Rice
- ½ Cup Moong Dal
- 3.5 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee for Tampering
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Green Chillis Slit
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Ghee For Drizzling
- Salt To Taste
- Wash Rice and Moong dal. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Add in mustard and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add in Bay leaves.
- Add in chopped onion and green chillis and saute until glossy.
- Add in chopped tomates and salt to taste. Saute until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add in the soaked rice and Dal. Saute for few minutes.
- Add in water. Add in salt to taste. Bring the water to boil.
- Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and add in chopped coriander leaves and gently mix them.
- Open the pressure cooker as soon as the pressure is down and add in chopped coriander leaves and give a quick mix. Do this when the kichadi is still hot for the flavour of coriander to get into the kichadi.
- Before dizzling ghee into kichadi make sure it is hot.
- I have used split moong dal for adding in more nutrition.
- My tomato us very sour in taste so i added a very small tomato.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Dal Kichadi:
- Wash Rice and Moong Dal. Soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and Ghee in a Pressure Cooker. Add in Mustard and Cumin seeds. Wait until the mustard splutters. Add in a Bay leaf.
- Add in onion and green chillis and saute until the onion gets glossy. Add in tomato and salt to taste. Add in Turmeric Powder.
- Saute until the tomatoes gets mushy. Drain the excess water and add in the Rice and dal mixture. Saute for 2 minutes. Add in water.
- Bring it to Boil. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. switch off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Sprinkle coriander leaves and give a quick mix.
- Serve Dal kichadi with papad or fryams. Drizzle a spoon of ghee before serving. Serve the kichadi Hot.