Dal Kichadi is an easy one pot meal. It is one of the comfort and tasty food.
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal
- 3.5 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee for Tampering
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Green Chillis Slit
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Ghee For Drizzling
- Salt To Taste
Wash Rice and Moong dal. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Add in mustard and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add in Bay leaves.
Add in chopped onion and green chillis and saute until glossy.
Add in chopped tomates and salt to taste. Saute until the tomatoes are mushy.
Add in the soaked rice and Dal. Saute for few minutes.
Add in water. Add in salt to taste. Bring the water to boil.
Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
Open the pressure cooker and add in chopped coriander leaves and gently mix them.
- Open the pressure cooker as soon as the pressure is down and add in chopped coriander leaves and give a quick mix. Do this when the kichadi is still hot for the flavour of coriander to get into the kichadi.
- Before dizzling ghee into kichadi make sure it is hot.
- I have used split moong dal for adding in more nutrition.
- My tomato us very sour in taste so i added a very small tomato.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Dal Kichadi:
- Wash Rice and Moong Dal. Soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and Ghee in a Pressure Cooker. Add in Mustard and Cumin seeds. Wait until the mustard splutters. Add in a Bay leaf.
- Add in onion and green chillis and saute until the onion gets glossy. Add in tomato and salt to taste. Add in Turmeric Powder.
- Saute until the tomatoes gets mushy. Drain the excess water and add in the Rice and dal mixture. Saute for 2 minutes. Add in water.
- Bring it to Boil. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. switch off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Sprinkle coriander leaves and give a quick mix.
- Serve Dal kichadi with papad or fryams. Drizzle a spoon of ghee before serving. Serve the kichadi Hot.