Recipe type: Pickle | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 250grams
Taste: Salty and Spicy
For Marinating the Fish
Sear Fish - 250 grams
Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - a generous pinch
White Vinegar - 1.5 tablespoon
Salt - to taste
For Deep Frying
Cooing Oil / Gingelly oil - as required
For Roasting and grinding
Curry Leaves Fistful
Dry Red Chillis - 8
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Seeds - 1 tablespoon
Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 5 big pods
Gingelly oil - 2 tablespoon
Curry Leaves - a spring
Fenugreek seeds - ½ teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - ½ teaspoon
White Vinegar - ¼ Cup
Step by Step Photos on how to make Fish Pickle:
- Add Fish, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, salt and Vinegar and Marinate the fish for atleast for 30 mins. After 30 minutes, heat oil in a wok and deep fry the fish cubes.
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under roast and grind and allow them to cool down completely. Blend them into a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and fenugreek and allow it to splutter. Add in curry leaves and saute them. Crush Ginger and garlic and add them. Cook until the ingredients are cooked well.
- Add in the ground powder and cook until the masalas blend well. Add in the fried fish.
- Cook until the masalas blend well. Add in the White vinegar. Mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes and switch off the flame.
- Flavourful and aromatic fish pickle is now ready.
- Boneless Fish or Fish with Tender bones and firm flesh are suitable for Pickle.
- Pomfret, prawns, anchovies or any other fleshy fishes are suitable for this recipe.
- The pickle gets the sour taste as when the days passes. Keep the pickle aside atleast for 2 days to get the masalas and the fish blend well.
- This pickle keeps good upto 2 months.
- Glass jars are preferable for storing the pickle.
- Used clean and dry glass jars and spoons while handling and storing fish pickle.
- Do not increase the quantitiy of mustard and fenugreek as it would give in bitterness to the pickle.