Murungaikai Thoran / Drumstick Stir Fry is a delicious recipe with rice and rasam or sambar. This recipe is prepared by stir frying Drumstick along with coconut masalas. This masala makes the recipe interesting and delicious. The coconut based masalas are roasted in oil which gives in the best flavour. Then cooked drumstick pieces are added into the masala. Cooked until the masala blends well with drumstick. Checkout other drumstick recipes here.
Murungaikai Thoran / Drumstick Stir Fry
Murungaikai Thoran / Drumstick Stir Fry is a delicious side dish to be served with rice and rasam/sambar.
For Boiling Drumstick
- 4 Drumsticks Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Water
For the Masala
- ½ Cup Coconut
- 5 Shallots
- 2 Pods Garlic
- ½ Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ Teaspoom Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Pods Garlic
- 4 Shallots
- fistful Curry Leaves
For Cooking Drumstick
- Chop drumstick into 2 inch pieces. Cut Open them. Add them into a vessel with Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, salt and water.
- Cook them until the fleshy portion is cooked soft. Cook until 90% is cooked.
- Drain the excess water and set the drumstick aside.
For blending the masalas
- Add in all the ingredients for the masalas into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste. For thoran the masalas have to be blended without water. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
- Add in chopped onion and garlic and saute them until the onion gets glossy.
- Add in curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in the blended masala and saute until the masalas cook well. Add in salt to taste.
- Add in the drumstick and cook until the masalas blend well with the masalas.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot alongside rice and any veg gravy.
- While boiling drumstick do not add more water. Add only required
limited water or the nutrients would go with the water.
- Do not over cook the drumstick or the flesh would dissolve in water and becomes fiborous.
- I have used very less spices. Adjust the spice level as per you taste preferences.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Murungaikai Thoran / Drumstick Roast
- Chop drumstick into 2 inch pieces. Cut open them into half inch pieces. Add them into a vessel. Add in salt, turmeric powder and cumin seeds. Add in limited water. Cook them until the fleshy portion of the drumstick is cooked soft.
- Heat oil in another wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter. Add in chopped onion and garlic. Saute until the onion turns glossy. Add in curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in all the masalas into the blender and blend them into a smooth paste. Thoran is a dry stir fry recipe. Hence the masalas must be blended without adding water. Since my blender does not cooperate dry blending i have added water and made a smooth paste. Add this paste into the masalas.
- Saute until the masalas are sauted well. Make sure not to burn them. Add in the salt only for the masalas.
- Drain the excess water from the drumstick and add in the cooked drumstick. Cooked until the the masalas and blend well.
- Serve them hot with rice and any veg gray.