Mutton Chukka is one of the Popular recipe. It is served in almost every restaurant. Mutton Chukka Varuval is a spicy recipe. It is a lipsmacking appetizer. I have chopped the mutton pieces into bite sized pieces for ease of consuming. It is generally served as a dry dish and hence i have prepared as a dry recipe. If you prefer making it as a gravy add in required water and cook until the oil seperates.
Mutton Chukka Varuval
Mutton Chukka Varuval is a flavourful Appetizer.
- 200 Grams Mutton
- 1 Big Onion Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chillis Chopped
- Salt To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
To Roast and Grind
- 5 Dry Red Chillis
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¾ Teaspoon Pepper
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under To roast and grind and blend them into a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in onion and saute them. Add in curry leaves and green chillis and saute them.
- Add in Ginger Garlic PAste and saute them. Add in washed and cleaned mutton pieces and saute them for few minutes.
- Add in ½ cup water and close and cook them.
- Add in salt and turmeric powder and give a quick stir.
- Cook until the mutton is cooked soft.
- Add in the blended spice mix and cook until the masalas blend well and all the water evaporates. Switch off the flame.
- Mutton Chukka is now ready to serve.
- I have chopped Mutton into smaller pieces hence i did not cook in pressure cooker. If using bigger pieces then pressure cook mutton with salt and turmeric powder until soft.
- Gingelly oil adds more taste to this recipe.
- Do not add more water to cook mutton, as we need to dry the chukka.
- Prefer shallots over onion makes the Chukka Varuval taste great.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Mutton Chukka Varuval
- Dry Roast all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and grind and blend them into a fine powder. Since my blender did not cooperate i haved added few spoons of water and made it into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok and add in mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in chopped onion and saute until glossy. Add in curry leaves.
- Add in Chopped green chillis and saute for few minutes. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute them. Add in chopped mutton pieces, Salt, turmeric powder and required water and cook them until the mutton is cooked soft.
- Add in the blended paste and cook until the masalas blend well. Switch off the flame. Mutton Chukk is now ready to serve.
- Mutton Chukka is a aromatic appetizer