Nethili Meen Aviyal / Anchovies Aviyal is simple flavourful and tasty side dish that can be served with rice or rotis. Anchovies are cleaned and the fish bones are removed. It is then cooked with Coconut paste and raw mango pieces. They cook together and give out a nice flavourful side dish. Using coconut oil adds another awesome flavour to the dish.
Nethili Meen Aviyal / Anchovies Aviyal is a simple and flavourful recipe to be cooked with coconut and raw mangoes
- 500 Grams Anchovies / Nethili Meen
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 1/2 Cup Raw Mango
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Cup Coconut
- 8 Small Onion
- 1 Green Chilli
- 5 Garlic Pods
- 1 Inch Ginger
Blend all the ingredients mentioned under Coconut paste into a smooth paste with required water.
Heat oil in a wok.
Add in cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
Add in curry leaves. Saute for few minutes.
Add in the coconut paste and turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
Add in the mangoes and the cleaned fish.
Give a quick stir. Stir gently so that the fish does not break.
close the wok and cook the mixture. Stir occasionally. Sprinkle water if the mixture is too dry.
When the mixture is cooked completely switch off the flame.
Nethili Meen Aviyal / Anchovies Aviyal is now ready to serve.
- Coconut oil Brings nice flavour to the recipe.
- I added only one green chilli and the spice is very less. Add green chilli as per your taste.
- If you do not like Coconut oil it cab be replaced with Cooking oil.
Step by Step photos on how to make Nethili Meen Aviyal / Anchovies Aviyal:
- Remove the head and tail from the Anchovies / Nethili Meen. Slit the Side of the Fish. Remove the bone from the fish.
2. Add all the ingredients mentioned under “Coconut Paste” into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a Wok. Add in Cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in curry leaves and saute them for few minutes.
4. Add in the Coconut paste and turmeric powder. Add in the Cleaned fish. Add in Mango pieces. Mix gently. Close the wok and cook in low flame. Stir Gently. Take care not to burn the mixture. If the mixture is very dry while cooking sprinkle water and close the wok and cook until done.
Flavourful Anchovies Aviyal / Nethili Meen Aviyal is now ready to serve.