Pongal Puli Kuzhambu is made during the festival of pongal with almost all the vegetables available.
- 1/2 Raw Banana Peeled and Chopped
- 5 Small Chinese Potato
- 1 Potato
- 1/2 Sweet Potato
- 5 Broad Beans
- 7 French Beans
- 1 Medium Carrot
- a Slice Yellow Pumpkin
- 1/3 Cup Butter Beans / Mochai
- 3 Tablespoon Corinader Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Tamarind Paste
- Required Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 10 Small Onion / Shallots
- 3 Tomatoes
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- Required Water
Sweet potato is hard to cut So Wash it and cook it seperately. Add water in a pan and place sweet potato in it. Cook until it is cooked soft. Switch off the flame.Peel them and chop them. The remaining water cannot be used.
Add in Raw Banana, Chinese Potato and Potato into a pan with water and salt and cook until the veggies are soft. Remove the veggies from the water and preserve this water for adding in the kuzhambu.
Add in Carrot, Broad Beans, Beans, Yellow Pumpkin in another pan with water and salt and cook until the veggies are soft. Remove the veggies form the water and aside both veggies and water.
Cook Butter beans separately until soft.
Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard, Fenugreek, Urad Dal and Cumin Seeds. Saute until they splutter.
Add in onion and saute until glossy.
Add in Curry Leaves and saute them.
Add in tomatoes and cook until mushy.
Add in all the cooked veggies and saute for few minutes.
Add in the Vegetable stock from the above steps 2 and 3. Add in tamarind paste. Give a quick stir.
Cook for 3 minutes.
Add in Chilli powder, Coriander Powder and salt to taste. Cook until the masalas have blended well.
Switch off the flame and serve with Ven Pongal, Pal Pong
- Add only required water while cooking or the nutrients of the veggies are washed out in the water.
- Do not make the Raw Banana, Potato and Chinese Potato mixture mushy as it would spoil the taste of the kuzhambu.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Pongal Puli Kuzhambu
- Wash and Peel all the Vegetables taken. Sweet Potato does not cook easily so i have boiled it seperately.
- I have cooked Butter Beans(mochai) seperately.
- Raw Banana, Chinese Potato and potato are cooked seperately as these veggies have the similar boiling point.
- Cooked yellow pumpkin, carrot, Broad beans, beans together as these are a bit tender compared to the other vegetables.
- Now heat oil in a wok and add in Mustard, Urad Dal, Jeera and Fenugreek seeds. Saute until they splutter
- Add in onion and saute them until glossy. Add in Curry Leaves and saute them. Add in tomatoes and saute them.
- Add in salt to taste. After the tomatoes gets mushy add in all the veggies.
- Saute for a few minutes. Add in the vegetable stock that was remaining while cooking veggies. Add in tamarind Paste. Cook for few minutes. Add in salt if required. Finally add in chilli powder and Coriander Powder. Cook until the masalas bled well with the veggies. Switch off the flame.
- Yummy Pongal Puli Kuzhambu is now ready to serve.
- Pongal Puli Kuzhambu can be served with Ven Pongal or Pal Pongal or Barnyard Rice Ven Pongal or even simple steamed rice.