Ragi is rich in calcium and antioxidants. Ragi is low in fat and helps to keep the body cool. Sprouting ragi increases the Vitamin C levels in it which in turn helps in easier absorption of iron. This is one of my frequent breakfast recipe in a busy working day. Full of Nutrients and easy to make. Ragi contains complex carbohydrate and glucose is released very slowly into the blood without overloading. Thus it keeps us full for a long time. Ragi porridge is a great option to replace any meal in a day.
Ragi Porridge / Finger Millet Porridge is a filling and nutritious porridge that can replace any meal of the day.
- 1/4 Cup Ragi Flour / Broken Ragi
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Grated
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
Heat water in a saucepan. Add in Ragi flour or Broken Ragi.
Add in salt to taste and Cinnamon Powder. Cook until the ragi is cooked well.
Add in Milk and give a quick stir. Add in Jaggery powder.
Add in Grated Coconut. Cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
Let it cool down for some time and get warm mode.
Top up with any of your fruits and nuts and serve them immediately,
- I have used Broken Ragi as Ragi flour was not available
- Ragi flour cooks easily but if using Broken Ragi them it takes some time to cook and the amount of water also must be increased.
- Ragi gets thick so if needed add in little bit of more water.
- Any milk can be used if trying to loose weight then using almond milk would be suitable.
- Add Jaggery powder only if required.
- Badam Milk can be easily make at home. Soak 15 badam for 4 hours. Peel the skin.
Step by step photos on how to make Ragi Porridge:
- Add water into a saucepan. Add in the Ragi Flour/ Broken Ragi.
2. Add in salt to taste.
3. Add in Cinnamon Powder. Cook until the Ragi is cooked soft.
4. When it is cooked soft add in the Milk.
5. Keep Cooking. Add in Jaggery powder.
6. Add in grated cocont and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
7. While serving top them up with any seasonal fruit. and nuts.
I used Chia seeds and coconut chips for topping up.
This porridge can replace any one of your meal. Such a filling meal and nutritious one.