Sago Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam / Sabudhana Kheer is generally prepared during festivals. It is also a tasty dessert that can be prepared as an after meal dessert. Sago Kheer is Creamy and smooth in texture. It is one of the most common type of dessert prepared in indian households. Sago digests easily hence Sago is an ingredient consumed during a fast or Vrat. Hence is generally prepared during Navrathri or during a Fast. Find out other Kheer Recipes here.
Sago Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam
- ½ Cup Sago / Javvarisi
- 3 Cardamom
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 15 Cashews
- 3 Cups Milk
- ¾ Cups Refined Sugar
- 1.5 Cups Water
- Soak Sago in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Heat milk in a sauce pan. Simmer it for 15 minutes in low flame.
- Add in cardamom and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add in sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves and switch off the flame.
- Now Drain the water from the sago and add them into a wok. Add only required water and cook them until soft.
- Add in the simmered milk. Cook for 3 minutes.
- In another pan heat ghee and roast the cashews.
- Add the ghee mixture into kheer. Give a gently stir. Switch off the flame.
- Delicious Kheer is now ready to serve.
- Do not add milk or sugar until the Sago is cooked soft.
- This Kheer would thicken over time. If so then add hot milk to make it thin.
- To reduce the cooking time half cup of milk can be reduced and condensed milk cab be added. It gives a nice twist to the kheer.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Sago Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam / Sabudhana Kheer
- Soak Sago in hot water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile boil milk and allow it to simmer.
- Allow the milk to simmer for 15 minutes. Add in Cardamom and allow to cook for 3 more minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add in sugar to the milk and cook until the sugar dissolves completely. Now Add in the Sago and water in the wok and keep cooking until it cooks soft. Add in the boiled milk.
- Cook for 3 minutes in low flame. Heat ghee in another pan and add in cashews and roast them. Add in the roasted Ghee and Cashews into the kheer. Gently stir them.
- Delicious Dessert is now ready to serve.
Leave a Reply