Valai Poo Poriyal / Banana Flower Stir Fry is a healthy side dish to be served with steamed rice and any vegetarian gravy. It generally goes well with sambar rice. This is one of the most healthy vegetable. The cleaning process is a bit tedious as the stem potion and the cover portion must be removed from each floret. This vegetable has a bitter taste. To reduce the bitterness it is added into buttermilk water for few minutes to reduce it bitterness. This stir fry is one of the best options to include healthy veggies into diet.
Valai Poo Poriyal / Banana Flower Stir Fry
This is one among the Healthy side dishes with steamed rice.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 Banana Flower Cleaned and Chopped
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- required Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chillis
To grind and Paste
- 1 teaspoon CuminSeeds
- ¼ Cup Coconut
- 1 Green Chilli
- Required Water
- Clean the Banana Flowers. Remove the stem and outer cover from each floret.
- Chop them into smaller pieces and placed them in butter milk water.
- Blend the Coconut, Cumin Seeds, Green Chillis with required water into a smooth paste.
- Drain the butter milk water from the chopped banana flowers and boil them in enough water and salt for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame and drain the excess water.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add in onion and saute them until glossy. Add in Curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in the cooked banana flower and saute them.
- Add in the Coconut Paste. Cook until they blend well and the mixture is cooked well. Banana Stir fry is now ready to be served.
- The center stem and the outer cover has to be removed from each floret or it wouldnt cook well and would cause stomach pain if consumed.
- While chopping the flower grease the chopping board knife and your fingers with coconut oil or it would stain everything.
- Keeping chopped banana flowers in buttermilk water is essential so that it does not changes in color. Else it would turn into dark color.
- While cooking the banana flowers in water add only required water.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Valai Poo Poriyal / Banana Flower Stir Fry
- Seperate the banana flowers form the floret. Seperate each individual flower.
- Remove the centre stem which has a bulb like head. Remove the outer cover too. Chop them and keep them in buttermilk water until they are cooked.
- Add the ingredients listed under to grind and paste into a smooth paste with required water.
- Drain the buttermilk water from the chopped banana flower. Add water and allow it to boil. Cook for another 5 minutes in low flame. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a Wok. Add in mustard and allow it to splutter. Add in dry red chillis and saute them. Add in onion and saute until glossy. Add in curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in the cooked banana flowers and saute them. Add in the coconut paste and saute them until they blend well. Banana flower stir fry is now ready to be served.