Vazhakkai Senai Erissery / Banana Yam Masala is a popular dish of kerala. It is a simple dish with Unripe Banana and yam. Coconut, Cumin seeds and green chillis are the key masalas. Final touch is the addition of coconut oil. Coconut oil gives in a different flavour to the dish. It can be served with steamed rice and any veg gravy. Other vegetables like Pumpkin, Unripe Jackfruit and legumes like Black Eyed Pea can also be used to prepare this recipe.
Vazhakkai Senai Erissery / Banana Yam Masala
Vazhakkai Senai Erissery / Banana Yam Masala is a kerala delicacy that can be served as a side dish to be served with steamed rice.
- 1 Cup Yam Cubed
- 2 Unripe Banana
- ½ Cup Thick Curd
- Required Water
- Required Salt
- 1.5 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
To Grind and Paste
- ⅓ Cup Coconut
- 2 Green Chillis
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Required Water
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
- Yam cooks slower than raw Banana, so yam must be cooked first and then unripe banana has to be added.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Vazhakkai Senai Erissery / Banana Yam Masala
- Peel and Chop Yam into cubes. Heat water in a wok add in the yam pieces. Add in salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook until the Yam is half cooked.
- Peel and Chop unripe banana.
- Add them into chopped yam. Beat the curd to get a smooth consistency. Add in curd. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in Curry Leaves. Add coconut, green Chillis and Cumin Seeds into a blender. Blend them into a smooth paste with required water.
- Add in the coconut paste into the veggie mixture. Allow them to cook well . It is in the semi gravy consistency. Once done switch off the flame and add in a spoon of Coconut oil on top and keep it closed for 10 minutes. The flavour of coconut oil blends well with the veggie mixture.
- Delicious Erissery is now ready to serve.