Yam Chicken Curry is my childhood favourite. During every vacation when we visit our grandparents this recipe is a definite part in the menu. Yam has cooling effect. Chicken is said to produce heat in the body. Adding yam with chicken Yam helps in soothing the digestive system. Yam is rich in antioxidants. Yam helps in easy absorption of nutrients. Yam and Chicken makes a delicious chicken curry. It tastes simply delicious with steamed rice.
Yam Chicken Curry
Yam Chicken Curry is a nutritious curry recipe.
- 1 Kilogram Chicken
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- 2 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Coconut Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- Required Water
- Required Salt
To Roast and Grind
- 3 Red Chillis
- 2 Tablespoon Corinader Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Dry roast each ingredient mentioned in the "To roast and Grind" seperately. Cool them down. Powder them.
- Clean and Chop Yam and Chicken. Add them into a pressurecooker. Add in water salt and turmeric powder. Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Set them aside
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
- Add in onion and saute them until glossy.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and salt and saute them until mushy.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in the chicken mixture. Cook them for few minutes.
- Blend coconut into a smooth paste and add into the chicken. Add in the ground masala. Cook until the masalas blend well.
- Serve them hot with steamed rice.
- Chop yam into bigger pieces so that while pressure cooking the chicken and yam cooks together.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Yam Chicken Curry
- Peel and Chop the Yam. Dry roast each ingredient seperately. Cool them down.
- Add cleaned and chopped chicken and yam into a pressure cooker.
- Add in turmeric powder and required water.
- Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame. Allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own. Open the pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter. Add in onion and saute them until glossy.
- Add in Tomato and required salt. Saute them until glossy.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute them until nice aroma comes out. Add in curry leaves.
- Saute for few minutes. Add in the cooked chicken yam mixture.
- Add in the coconut paste and ground masala. Cook until the masalas blends well.
- Flavourful chicken Curry is now ready to serve.