The ada pradhamam is a sweet treat of coconut milk, jaggery and rice ada. It is a traditional dessert of kerala. Payasam/ Kheer especially Pal ada payasam and ada Pradhamam are popular during the festival of onam. Onam is incomplete without a bowl of Ada Pradhamam. I have used readymade rice ada(rice flakes) for quick preperation. Cashews, Coconut Chunks can be roasted in ghee and added in for more richness and crunchiness.
Ada Pradhamam / Rice Flakes Kheer
The ada pradhaman is a sweet treat of coconut milk, jaggery and rice ada.
- ½ Cup Rice ada flakes
- 1 Cup Thin Coconut Milk
- ¾ Cup Thick Coconut Milk
- ¼ Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- ⅓ Cup Jaggery Powdered
- ¾ Cup Water
- 1.5 Tablespoon Ghee
- 10 Cashews
- Heat water in a sauce pan. Add in Jaggery powder and stir until they dissolve. Strain for any lumps.
- Now heat the sauce pan again add in the rice ada flakes. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in the Thin coconut milk and cook until the rice flakes are cooked well.
- Add in the thick coconut milk and cook for few mins. Heat ghee in a pan. Add in the cashews and roast them until golden brown. Add them into the Pradhamam and cook for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Rice ada flakes can be soaked in water for few minutes to make them soft.But i prefer cooking them in coconut milk so as it enhances in taste.
- Coconut flakes can also be roasted with cashews and added as a topping.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Ada Pradhamam / Rice Flakes Kheer
- Heat water in a sauce pan. Add in powdered jaggery.
- Stir until the jaggery dissolves. Strain for any lumps.
- Heat the jaggery syrup again and bring it to boil. Add in the rice ada flakes. Cook for few minutes.
- Add in the thin coconut milk and cook until the rice flakes are cooked soft. Add in the thick coconut milk and cook for few minutes.
- Heat ghee in another pan. Roast the cashews until golden brown.
- Add the cashews along with ghee into the ada pradhamam. Give a quick stir and switch off the flame.
- Delicious ada pradhamam is now ready to be served.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#79
Srivalli Jetti says
I simply love this payasam. So nicely done!
Interesting kheer with rice flakes . Coconut milk is a good substitute to regular milk . Good one .
Though i haven't prepared this on my own so far, i tried it in few restaurant and simply loved it. Looks so creamy and delicious.
Flaked rice kheer looks so delicious and very inviting.
Mayuri Patel says
I've not made kheer with rice flakes and jaggery. Should try it soon. Looks delicious.
Love the version of rice flakes kheer with addition of coconut milk .
ruchi indu says
Drooling... Loved this version of ada pradhaman...
Your ada pradhaman has turned out beautiful. Looks so inviting, love your pictures 🙂
This is such a classic dish! Looks absolutely inviting!
Priya Srinivasan says
A classic dessert, that rich amber color is awesome!!! Love your presentation too!