Olan is a Simple and traditional dish in kerala. Onam Sadhya is not complete without Olan. This recipe has limited spices hence my little girl loved to have it. Ash Gourd and Cowpea and cooked in coconut milk. Olan has a rich creamy texture.
Olan is one of the traditional recipe of kerala
- Soak Cowpea in water for atleast 4 hours. Pressure cook them with required water and salt until soft. Set them aside.
- Heat water in a Wok. Add in Chopped Ash Gourd. Cook them for few minutes. Add in thin coconut milk and cook until soft.
- Add in Curry Leaves, Green Chillis and Cowpea. Cook for few minutes.
- Add in thick Coconut Milk and cook for 30 minutes and switch off the flame. Add the coconut oil on top
- Delicious and creamy Olan is now ready to serve.
- My Ash gourd was tiny hence it has a greenish tint. Else it would in in complete white color.
- Coconut Oil Brings in the authentic taste to olan.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Kerala Olan
- Soak Cowpea in water for atleast 4 hours. Pressure cook them until soft. Set them aside. Heat water in a Wok. Add in Chopped Ash Gourd. Cook them for few minutes. Add in salt to taste.
- Add in Thin coconut milk and cook until the ash gourd is cooked soft. Add in the cooked Cowpea.
- Add in Green Chillis and Curry Leaves. Cook for few minutes. Add in the tick coconut milk. Simmer the flame and cook for 1 minute and switch off the flame.
- Tasty, delicious, rich and creamy olan is now ready to serve.