[ Beans Usili ]
Beans Usili / Beans Dal fry Recipe
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 15 min||| Total time: 25 min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 3|
|Taste: Mildly Spicy|
French Beans - 200 gms
For Dal Mixture
Tur Dal - /3 Cup
Dry Red Chilli - 1
Green Chilli - 1
Turmeric Powder - a generous Pinch
Salt - To Taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Asafoetida - ¼ teaspoon
Curry Leaves - a spring
Step by Step Photos on how to make Beans Usili / Beans Dal Fry:
1. Wash French beans well. Wipe them dry and chop them into smaller pieces.
2. Soak the Tur Dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and add it into a blender for grinding.
3. Grind the soaked Tur Dal with dry red chilli, green chilli, Salt and turmeric powder, required water into a paste. The batter must be in idli batter consistency. Pour them in idli tray and steams them in idli pot. Steam them until the tooth pick inserted in the center of the idlis comes out clean.
4. Remove the idlis from the idli pan. Chop them into small pieces. Add them into a blender and pulse it. Do not grind it. Set aside. Cook beans with water and salt until soft. Set aside.
5. Add oil in a frying pan. Add mustard and wait unil it splutters. Add curry leaves. Remove the pan from heat and add asafoetida.Wait until the aroma of asafoetida comes out. Start heating again. Add the mashed dal mixture. Fry the dal mixture well until it reaches the powdery consistency.
6. Add the cooked beans into the dal and roast until the dal and beans blends well.
Beans Usili is now ready to serve.
- Do not make the Dal paste too watery.
- Add beans into dal mixture only after the dal mixture is roasted well.
Serve Beans Usili with More Kulambu or any spicy gravy and steamed rice.