Though Bitter gourd is bitter in taste it is full of essential nutrients. Most of us are not in favour of Bitter gourd due to the bitter taste of this vegetable. But it is a good option to add bitter gourd in our diet. Bitter Gourd Stir Fry is one of the good option to add it into our diet. Bitter Gourd Stir Fry / Pavakkai Poriyal is a nice option to add it into your diet.
Bitter Gourd Stir Fry / Pavakkai Poiyal
- 1 Cup Bitter Gourd Chopped
- 8 Shallots Chopped
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sambar Powder
- ¼ Cup Coconut Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Cumin and Mustard and allow them to splutter.
- Add in chopped shallots and saute them. Add in curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in chopped bitter gourd and saute them.
- When it is sauted 50 % add in salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute again until it is cooked well. Add in sambar powder and cook them.
- Finally add in grated coconut and cook them.
- Bitter Gourd stir fry is now ready to serve.
Step by step photos on how to make Bitter Gourd Stir Fry / Pavakkai Poriyal:
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Cumin seeds.
2. Allow them to splutter. Add in onion and saute until glossy.
3. Add in Curry Leaves and saute them. Chop the Bittet Gourd into small pieces. Add them. Saute until the bitter gourd is cooked50 %.
4. Add in salt to taste. Add in turmeric powder. Mix gently.
5. Cover and cook of needed. Add in sambar powder.
6. Cook them until it is cooked soft.
7. When the bitter gourd is cooked for 90 % add in coconut. Saute for few minutes until all the masalas blend well.
Bitter Gourd stir fry is now served with curd rice or sambar rice