Ghee or clarified butter is widely used in Indian cooking. Ghee is added to many dishes for its aroma. In this Ghee Chicken Curry it is used for its flavour. The Chicken curry used the usual procedure for a chicken curry but uses ghee for its flavour. Ghee Chicken Curry is one of the flavourful Curry recipes that can be served with Steamed rice or Rotis. Ghee is added at the final step which is the highlight in this gravy. Ghee chicken can be served with steamed rice or Rotis. It can also be enjoyed as a side dish with idli and dosa. Here goes the recipe…
Ghee Chicken / Nei Chicken
Ghee Chicken / Nei Chicken is a flavourful side dish to be served with rice or rotis.
For Cashew Paste
- 1.5 Tablespoon Khus Khus / Poppy Seeds
- ¼ Cup Coconut Grated
- 15 Cashews
For Tomato Paste
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 5 Big Garlic Pods
- 500 Grams Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 15 Shallots
- Coriander Leaves Fistful chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Curd/Yogurt Optional
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- While blending add water only if your blender does not cooperate.
- If the gravy looks thick then add water as required.
- While cooking stir the gravy occasionally so that it does not stick or burn at the bottom.
- I did not add curd as my tomatoes were sour in taste.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Ghee Chicken:
- Soak cashews and poppy seeds in water for 30 minutes. Set this aside.
- Wash and clean chicken set aside. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add in Fennel seeds, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves, star anise and saute until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in chopped onion and a pinch of salt and saute them until glossy.
- Meanwhile add in tomatoes, ginger ang garlic into a blender into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste.
- Add in the tomato paste into the sauted onion and give a quick stir.
- Add in salt to taste and turmeric powder.
- Saute for few minutes. Add in chilli powder, Cumin Powder and Coriander powder.
- Saute until the masalas blend well.
- Add in the washed and cleaned chicken and stir them gently so that the masalas blend well with the chicken. Close the Vessel with a lid and let it cook. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile blend the soaked cashews poppy seeds and coconut with limited water and blend them into a smooth paste.
- Add in salt to taste. When the chicken is cooked tender add in the coconut mixture. Give a quick stir.
- Cook until the masalas blend well. Finally top up with some chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Add in 1 or 2 tablespoons of ghee and give a quick stir.
- Keep the gravy closed for 10 minutes. Ghee Chicken is now ready to serve.