Chayote Dal Stir Fry | Chow Chow Paruppu Kootu
Recipe type: Side Dish | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 2
To Grind and Paste :
Coconut – 1/4 Cup
Jeera – 1.5 teaspoon
Green Chillis – 1
Water – 1/4 Cup
Chayote – 1
Channa Dal – 2 tablespoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Onion – 1 chopped
Ginger – 1 inch Piece
Curry Leaves – a spring
Turmeric Powder – a generous pinch
Step by Step Photos on how to make Chayote Dal Stir Fry | Chow Chow Paruppu Kootu
- Remove the outer skin of the Chayote. Discard the center portion and chop them into smaller pieces. Chop ginger into small pieces. Soak Channa dal in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard and allow to splutter. Add in chopped onion , curry leaves and saute until glossy. Add chopped ginger and chayote and saute them. Add in the soaked channa dal.
- Keep stirring and cooking unil the chayote gets tender. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water if the veggies are dry. In a mixer/blender add in all the conents listed under “to grind and paste” and grind them into a paste.
- Add Turmeric Powder and saute it. When the veggie is cooked upto 80% add in the paste. Add water if the mixture is very dry. Keep stirring and cooking until the contents are cooked well.
- Chayote Dal Stir Fry ready to eat.