Red Cabbage Biryani / Purple Cabbage Biryani
Recipe type: Biryani | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 2
Red Cabbage – ¾ Cup Grated
Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
Thin Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
Coconut grated – 3 tablespoon
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tablespoon
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 1 Chopped
Green Peas – 3 tablespoon
Green Chillies – 2 slit
Oil/Ghee – 1 tablespoon
Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Bay leaves – 1
Cardamom – 2
Step by Step Photos on how to make Purple Cabbage Biryani
- Soak rice in water for 10 minutes. Grate Cabbage. Chop all the veggies and set them ready. Boil the green peas and get them ready.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan. Add all the mixture listed under to tamper and start sauting. Add onion and keep sauting. Add in green chillies and start sauting.
- Add in tomatoes and saute until mushy. Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell leaves.
- Add in the cabbage, coconut and the green peas. Give a quick stir. Drain the excess water from the rice and add in the rice.
- Add in coconut milk. Give a quick stir. Add salt to taste. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles in high flame. Switch off the flame. Allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own. Open pressure cooker and fluff it off with a fork.
- Healthy and Colourful Red Cabbage Biryani is now ready to serve.
- I love to use grated Cabbage. You can also chop them into small pieces.
- If using fresh green peas they can be used as it is. If using dried peas, then it must be soaked in water for 4 hours and pressure cooked partially. It must not be mushy as we are going to pressure cook it again.
- Soaking rice in water helps to cook rice soft. Do not omit this step.