Home style Chicken curry / Tomato Onion Chicken Curry is prepared by marinating chicken in Onion and tomato paste along with the other spice powder and then cooked until soft. I got this recipe from my sister. This recipe is very easy to make and even beginners can make this curry. This Chicken curry goes well with anything like rice chapathi, idli, dosa or even bread.
Checkout other Chicken Curry recipes available in this space.
Home style Chicken curry / Tomato Onion Chicken Curry is a easy recipe and pairs well with chapathi rice and tiffin items like idli and dosa.
- 1 Kg Chicken Pieces
- 3 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Mace
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Cardamom
- 3 Dry red chilli
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 1/2 Lemon
Wash and clean the chicken pieces. Add them into a mixing bowl.
Blend tomatoes and onion into a smooth paste and add them into chicken.
Add in ginger garlic paste.
Blend the spices cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, mace, cloves into a coarse powder and add into chicken.
Add in Salt to taste, Corinader powder, Pepper Powder, Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder and Garam Masala Powder. Mix them all together and let it marinate for atleast 30 mins.
After 30 mins heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
Add in dry red chilli. Add in Bay leaves. Saute until nice aroma comes out.
Add in marinated chicken, Squeeze juice from lemon.
Add in curry leaves. Cook until the chicken blends with masalas and cooks well.
Serve chicken with rice or roti.
- Adjust water as per requirements. If using for chapathi do not add water. I consumed it with rice so added water.
Step by step photos on how to make Home style Chicken curry / Tomato Onion Chicken Curry:
- Wash and Clean the chicken piece. Chop them into bite sized pieces. Add in onion paste.
2. Add in tomato paste. Take the spices like cinnamon, Cardamom, Mace, Cloves and star anise.
3. Blend into a coarse powder and add into chicken. Add in ginger Garlic paste.
4. Add in Cumin powder and Garam Masala Powder.
5. Add Turmeric Powder and Black Pepper Powder.
6. Add in Coriander Powder. Mix gently. Let it marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
7. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter. Add in dry red chilli and roast them.
8. Add in bay leaves. Saute until nice aroma comes out. Add in marinated chicken and start cooking them.
9. Add in lemon juice and Curry leaves.
10. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked soft.
11. Adjust the water as per the requirement.
Delicious chicken curry is now ready to serve.