Inji Theeyal / Ginger Theeyal is a dish prepared by Ginger cooked in Coconut paste and Tamarind gravy. It is spicy and Sour dish. It is generally served with mild main dishes like curd rice, Paruppu curry and rice or Kichadi or Sodhi Kuzhambu and Rice. Since ginger is the main ingredient it is good for digestion.
Inji Theeyal / Ginger Theeyal
For Roasting Ginger
- ¾ Cup Ginger
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- ½ Cup Coconut Grated
- Water as Required
- 2 Small Onion
- 2 Tablespoon Tamarind Pulp
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli powder
- 2 Teaspoon Roasted Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Take 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok and start heating it. Add in peeled and chopped ginger and start sauting them.
- When the sides start darkening remove the ginger from oil and cool them down completely.
- Add the ginger pieces and grated coconut into a blender and blend them into a coarse paste with limited water.
- Heat oil in a wok for tampering. Add in Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in dry red chillis and saute them.
- Add in onion and curry leaves and saute them.
- Add in the ginger coconut paste. Add in the tamarid pulp and water.
- Add in salt t taste. Cook until the oil separates in the sides of the vessel
- Switch off the flame.
- Spicy and Sour Inji theeyal is now ready to serve.
Step by step photos on how to make Inji Theeyal / Ginger Theeyal:
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in the chopped ginger and start roasting them.
2. Roast until the sides of the ginger starts browning. Remove the ginger from oil and cool them down completely. Add the ginger into a blender along with coconut.
3. Blend them into a coarse paste with limited water. Set them aside. Heat oil again . Add in Cumin and Mustard seeds allow them to splutter. Add in dry red chillis.
4. Add in onion and saute them. Add in curry leaves. Add in the ginger paste.
5. Add in Tamarind pulp and water. Give a quick stir. Add in Turmeric powder, Chilli powder and Coriander powder. Mix them gently. Keep cooking.
6. Cook until the oil separates in the sides of the vessel. Stir occasionally.
Nice Sour and Spicy Ginger theeyal is now ready to serve.