Instant Beetroot Wheat Idli / Gothumai Idli is a nutritious and tasty idli. These are instant idlis. They are best breakfast option or great after school snack or even can be packed as a picnic food. Added nuts make them even more richer and nutritious. Wheat is roasted and ground into a coarse powder. Nuts are roasted in ghee and added. Added advantage is the roasted channa dal which is the key ingredient that brings in taste. Finally beetroot is added which gives in the beautiful pink color. Anything with beetroot added in it is called red Velvette in my home. These are called red velvette idlis in my home.
Instant Beetroot Wheat Idli / Gothumai Idli
Instant Beetroot Wheat Idli / Gothumai Idli is a rich and delicious breakfast.
- 1 Cup Wheat
- ⅓ Cup Roasted Channa Dal
- ½ Cup Thick Curd
- Required Salt
- ½ Cup Beetroot Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- 10 Almonds
- 10 Pistachios
- 10 Cashews
- ½ Teaspoon Soda Salt
- Dry roast Wheat and blend them into a coarse powder.
- Blend Roasted Channa Dal into a Fine powder.
- Add wheat powder and Channa Dal powder into a bowl.
- Add in salt to taste, Soda salt and thick curd. Add in required and limited water and mix them into idli batter. Add in grated beetroot and mix them gently. Idli batter must be a bit thicker.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add in Cashews, Almond and Pistachios.
- Add them into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste. If required add few tablespoons of water.
- Add the nuts paste into the wheat idli batter. Now the idli batter is ready.
- Grease the idli plates. Add the plates into the idli pot. Steam them in medium flame for 7 to 10 minutes. This completely depends on the size of the idli plates.
- Pierce one of the idlis with a small knife to verify if the center portion is cooking. If the knife comes out clean then the idlis are done.
- Remove the idlis from the plates. Beetroot Wheat idlis are now ready to serve.
- Beetroot can also be replaced with carrot.
- I Have used broken wheat. Whole wheat can also be used for this recipe.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Instant Beetroot Wheat Idli / Gothumai Idli
- Dry Roast wheat. Blend them into a coarse powder.
- Blend roasted channa dal into a fine powder.
- Add the coarse powder and the finely ground roasted channa dal powder. Add in curd. Add in required limited water and mix them gently.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add in the mixed nuts. Roast the nuts.
- Add the nuts into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste. If required add required limited water.
- Add in smooth paste into the wheat mixture and mix them.
- Add in salt to taste. Add in grated beetroot.
- Add in Soda Salt. Give a quick stir.
- Grease the idli plates and plate them. Start steaming them.
- Close the idli pot. Steam for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Remove the plates from the idli pot. Leave them aside for few minutes. Remove them from the idli pots.
- I served Red Velvette idli with dates chutney and my lil gal simply loved it.