Jackfruit Kheer / Palapazha Payasam is another delicious and flavourful payasam. It is a very good option to be served as an after meal dessert. This Kheer is prepared by sauting jackfruit chunks in Ghee and then cooked in reduced milk. This can also be replaced by coconut milk. Finally Vermicelli is added to add in texture. Roasted cashews are finally added for the finishing touch and richness.
Jackfruit Kheer / Palapazha Payasam
Jackfruit Kheer / Palapazha Payasam is a flavourful and delicious dessert
- 2.5 Cups Milk
- 5 Jackfruit Arils Deseeded and chopped
- 3 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 5 Cardamom Crushed
- ⅓ Cup Vermicelli
- 10 Cashews
- Boil milk. Add in cardamom and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves completely. Switch off the flame and set the milk aside.
- Heat ghee in a wok and saute cashews until they start browning.
- Remove them from ghee and set them aside.
- In the same ghee add in chopped jackfruit. Saute for few minutes.
- Add in the milk and bring it to boil.
- Now add in the vermicelli. Cook until the vermicelli is cooked completely.
- Garnish with cashews and switch off the flame.
- I have used roasted fine variety vermicelli. If using the thick vaiety cook them soft and then add them.
- The Kheer Thickens over time. Hence adjust the milk quantity accordingly.
- The amount of milk also differs based on the variety of vermicelli used. Adjust milk quantity accordingly.
- If the kheer gets thick after cooking then add in some milk and heat them again.
- Tastes best either served hot or cold.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Jackfruit Kheer / Palapazha Payasam
- Boil milk in a saucepan. When the milk starts boiling add in crushed cardamom. Allow it to simmer for few minutes.
- Add in sugar and keep cooking for few minutes. Switch off the flame and set aside. Heat ghee in a wok.
- Add in cashews and saute them. Remove them from the ghee and set them aside. Add in chopped Jackfruit in the same ghee and start sauting them.
- Saute for few minutes. Add in the milk. Keep Cooking for few minutes so that the jackfruit chunks blend with the milk.
- Add in Vermicelli. Cook until the vermicelli is cooked soft.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with cashews.
- Delicious Jackfruit payasam is now ready to serve.