Kanyakumari style Verum Kuzhambu/Vendhaya Kuzhambu / FenuGreek Gravy is a simple and basic gravy served with steamed rice and Any fish related side dishes like Fish Masala or Fish Fry. It is called Verum(empty) Kuzhambu(gravy) as there is no veggie or meat added in this gravy. This Gravy is prepared when we have only very less time to prepare food.
Kanyakumari style Verum Kuzhambu/Vendhaya Kuzhambu / FenuGreek Gravy
Kanyakumari style Verum Kuzhambu/Vendhaya Kuzhambu / FenuGreek Gravy is an instant gravy for rice.
To Grind and paste
- ½ Cup Coconut
- 6 Shallots
- ¾ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Water - As Required
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ Onion (optional) Chopped
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¾ Teaspoon Coriander Powder (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- Tamarind - Amla Sized
- Use fresh ingredients
Step by Step Photos on how to make Vendhaya Kuzhambu / FenuGreek Gravy
- Heat oil in a Wok. Add in mustard and allow it to splutter. Add Fenugreek. Add in curry leaves. Saute for a min in low flame.
- Add all the contents listed under to grind and paste and add them into a blender blend them into a smooth paste with required water. Add this paste into the Oil. Add in required water. Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes squeeze the pulp and discard the waste. Add the tamarind water into the gravy.(i missed to click a pic of the tamarind water)
- Add in Chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Allow it to boil. Simmer it until the oil seperated in the sides of the vessel.
- Verum Kuzhambu is now ready to serve.