Sambar is a Lentil Soup. Multiple Variation of vegetables can be added to sambar. The variation is from the veggie that is added to the sambar. Ladys Finger Sambar / Vendakkai Sambar / Okra Sambar has its own unique taste. Ladys Finger sambar has a special place in my heart from childhood. Hence i choose this recipe for days "Protein Rich Recipes" themed BM Post. I have posted sambar recipes with Drumstick, Beetroot, Yellow Pumpkin and Radish. Ladys finger sambar can be served with steamed rice and other veggie stir fries.
Ladys Finger Sambar / Vendakkai Sambar / Okra Sambar
Sambar is a Basic Lentil Soup with any choice of veggies. Ladys finger Sambar has the unique features from its star vegetable Ladys Finger
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ Teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chillis
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
For Sauting Ladys Finger
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- Required Salt
- 7 Ladys Finger
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 10 Shallots
- 2 Tomatoes Medium
- Amla Sized Tamarind
- Required Water
- Required Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sambar Powder
- ¾ Cup Toor Dal
- Add the tamarind into water and let it soak for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes squeeze the pulp and discard the waste.
- Pressure Cook Toor dal with required water for 3 whistles in medium flame. After the pressure is released open the pressure cooker and mash the dal with a ladle or a hand blender. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok to saute the Ladys finger. Add in salt to taste. Saute it until it is half cooked.
- Remove the Lady's finger and add in onion. Saute until glossy. Add in chopped tomatoes and saute until mushy. Add in chopped Lady's finger. Add in the tamarind pulp and cook for few minutes.
- Add in the mashed dal and give a quick stir. Add in sambar powder and cook until the masalas blend well. Then switch off the flame.
- For tampering heat oil in a pan. Add in Cumin seeds and Fenugreek seeds. Add in curry leaves and dry red chillis. Add the tampered mixture into the sambar.
- Delicious Ladys finger sambar is now ready to serve.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Ladys Finger Sambar / Vendakkai Sambar / Okra Sambar
- Chop the head and tail of the ladys finger. Heat oil in a wok and saute the chopped ladys finger.
- Add in salt to taste. Saute until the Ladys finger is half cooked. Remove the ladys finger and set them aside.
- Add in onion into the same wok and saute them until glossy. Add in tomatoes and saute until mushy.
- Add in the required salt. Once the tomatoes are mushy add in the half cooked ladys finger.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water. Squeeze the pulp and discard the waste. Add in the tamarind water into the veggies and cook for few minutes.
- Meanwhile pressure cook Toor dal with required water. Mash them with a ladle or a hand blender. Add them into the tamarind mixture and keep cooking.
- Give a gentle stir. Add in the sambar powder.
- Cook until the masalas blend well. Switch off the flame. Heat oil in a wok for tampering. Add in Cumin seeds, Fenugreek seeds, dry red chillis and curry leaves. Once sauted well add in the tampered mixture on top of the sambar. Leave the sambar closed for 10 minutes.
- Delicious Sambar is now ready to serve.