Yellow Pumpkin Sambar
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 30 Min||| Total time: 40 min|
|Recipe type: Main Course||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
|Taste: Spicy and Tangy|
Toor Dal – 1/2 Cup
Small Onion/Shallots – 8 or Big onion – 1
Yellow Pumpkin – 1 medium slice
Tomato – 1 Big
Tamarid – Amla Sized
Sambar Powder – 1 tablespoon
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek – 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Step by Step Photos on how to make Yellow Pumpkin Sambar:
- Peel the skin and remove the seed portion from the yellow pumpkin and chop them into small pieces. Chop Onion and tomato and set aside. Soak tamarind in water and set aside.
- Wash Toor Dal. Add Toor Dal and sufficient water and pressure cook with for 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the cooker to release on its own. Mash the dal and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter. Add Fenugreek and saute it. Add chopped onion and saute it until glossy. Add the tomatoes and saute it.
- Add a pinch of salt and keep sautéing until the tomatoes become mushy. Add the chopped yellow pumpkin pieces. Saute for few mins.
- Squeeze the juice out of the tamarind and discard the tamarind. Add the tamarind juice into the pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed dal, sambar powder, asafoetida and salt. Cook until the raw smell of the masala leaves.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
- The sambar is not too watery or too thick. Adjust the consistency accordingly.
Serve Yellow Pumpkin Sambar with steamed rice and Cabbage Poriyal