Lobia Vada is fibre enriched tea time snack. It is crispy outside and soft inside. This can be easily made without much hassle. Black Eyed Peas is also called as cowpea. I have used Red Cowpea. Sometimes Cowpea has some bitter taste and to overcome this i have added coconut. Definitely it adds richness to the taste in the vada. It is also called as Alasanda Vada which is popularly prepared in Andhra during the festival of Sankranti. Checkout other Fritters available in this space.
Lobia Vada / Karamani Vadai / Black Eyed Beans Fritters
Lobia Vada / Karamani Vadai / Black Eyed Beans Fritters is a healthy and yummy tea time snack.
- 1 Cup Lobia / Karamani / Black Eyed Beans Sprouted
- Fistful Coriander Leaves
- 20 Mint Leaves
- 1 inch Ginger Crushed
- 3 Big Garlic Cloves Crushed
- ½ Cup Coconut Grated
- ¼ Asafoetida Powder
- 2 Green Chills
- Salt To Taste
- Soak Karamani in water overnight. Add in Karamani/Lobia into a blender and blend them into a coarse paste. Do not add water.
- Transfer them to a mixing bowl. Add in Chopped Coriander Leaves, Mint Leaves, Green Chillis, Crushed Ginger and Crushed Garlic.
- Add in Coconut and mix them gently.
- Get ready with the oil for deep frying.
- Take a lemon sized ball and flatten them by placing them in your palm.
- Add them one by one in the hot oil and deep fry them.
- Once they are cooked remove them and place in an absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Serve them hot with coconut chutney and a cup of chai.
- For sprouting black eyed beans soak the beans in water overnight.
Drain the water and pack them in a muslin cloth or in a hot box and leave them undisturbed for 12 hours. Now they would have sprouted.
- After grinding into a coarse paste if the paste is too watery add in some gram flour to make them thick.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Lobia Vada / Karamani Vadai / Black Eyed Beans Fritters
- Soak Karamani in water overnight. Grind Karamani into a coarse paste. Add in Chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves.
- Add in Crushed Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillis. Add in Grated Coconut.
- Add in salt to taste and mix them gently. Get ready with the oil for deep frying. Take lemon sized balls and flatten them in your palm. Deep fry them one by one in the hot oil.
- Deep fry them in medium flame. After they are fried take them out of the oil and leave them in the absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Crispyt outside and soft inside.
- Serrve them hot with Coconut Chutney and a cup of hot Tea.