Nadan Chicken Curry is a mouthwatering recipe from kerala that is a good Gravy with Rice, Roti, Bread or breakfast recipes like Idli, Dosa, Appam and Idiyappam. This recipe is generally made using coconut oil and coconut milk. This is a spicy and flavorful recipe. Checkout other chicken recipes here.
Nadan Chicken Curry
- 500 Grams Chicken
- 2 Green Chilli optional
- 1 Cup Thin Coconut milk
- ¾ Cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1 big Tomato Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 8 Shallots Chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 5 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Javitri
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Cinnamon, Cloves, Javitri, Bayleaves, StarAnise. Saute until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Wait until it splutters.
- Add in onion and curry leaves and saute until onion gets glossy.
- Add in tomatoes and salt to taste and saute until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute them.
- Add in the chicken and saute them.
- Add in Coriander powder, Chilli powder, Turmeric powder and Garam Masala powder and saute them.
- Add in thin coconut milk and salt to taste and saute until the chicken cooks well.
- If needed adjust the water level. Add in the thick coconut milk and cook only few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Delicious chicken curry is now ready to serve.
- Cooking the chicken in the thin coconut milk gives good taste to the chicken.
- Add the thick coconut milk only at the end or the mixture might cuddle.
- I have added very less spice. So if you need a spicy curry increase the spices as per your requirements.
- Coconut oil can also be replaced with Cooking oil.
Step by step photos on how to make Nadan Chicken Curry:
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Bay Leaves, Star Ansie, cloves, Cinnamon and Javathri.
2. Saute until nice flavor comes. Add in Cumin and Fennel seeds.
3. Add in onion and saute until glossy.
4. Add in tomato and salt to taste and saute until tomatoes cook mushy.
5. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute them. If the mixture gets dry add in few tablespoons of water.
6. Add in chicken. Add in the Coriander Powder, Chilli powder, Turmeric Powder and Cumin Powder.
7. Mix them gently. Cook them until the chicken is cooked 70 %.
8. Add in second coconut milk. Allow the chicken to cook in the coconut milk.
9. When the chicken is cooked. Add in the First coconut milk.
10 . Cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
Delicious Nadan Chicken Curry is now ready to serve.