Nethili Meen Thokku / Anchovies Thick Gravy / Nethili Fish Thokku is a thick gravy type dish. It is a tangy and spicy dish. The Fish is cleaned and the bones are removed hence it becomes easy to consume. This Thokku can be served with rice and any mild gravy or Rasam. This procedure can be followed with any fish that has very less bones. Checkout Anchovies stir fry recipe that I have here.
Nethili Meen Thokku / Anchovies Thick Gravy / Nethili Fish Thokku
- 250 grams Anchovies Fish / Nethili Meen
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 5 Garlic Pods Crushed
- 8 Small Onion
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 2 Tomatoes Small
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 3 Dry Red Chillis
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Tablespoon Tamarind
- Clean the Nethili Meen / Anchovies well. Remove the head and tail
- Slit the side of the fish and remove the center bone. Wash again and set it aside.
- Soak tamarind in water and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in crushed garlic and saute well.
- Add in onion and saute until glossy.
- Add in curry leaves and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add in chilli powder, coriander Powder and turmeric powder. Saute until the masalas blend well. If the mixture gets very dry add few spoons of water.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and in salt and saute until mushy.
- Now mash the tamarind and squeeze the pulp and discard the waste.
- Add in the tamarind pulp.
- Add salt to taste. Cook for few minutes.
- Add in the cleaned fish. Stir gently then and there. Or the fish mught break.
- Cook until the fish is cooked well.
- Yummy and delicious Nethili meen Thokku is now ready to serve.
Step By Step Photos on how to make Nethili Meen Thokku / Anchovies Thick Gravy / Nethili Fish Thokku
1. Wash and clean the fish. Remove the head and tail portion. Slit the side portion. Remove the bone from the centre.
2. Wash the fish well once again. Set it aside. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in crushed garlic and saute them well.
3. Add in dry red chillis and saute them. Add in onion and curry leaves and saute until glossy. (I forgot to click a pick after adding tomatoes.)Add in tomatoes and saute until mushy. Add in chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Saute until the masalas blend well.
4. Soak Tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the water and extract the pulp. Add this pulp into the Thokku. .
5. Cook until they blend well. Mix gently as the fish is tender and it might break. Cook until the fish is cooked completely.
6. Delicious Nethili Thokku is now ready to serve.