Pepper Mutton Masala is a gray type dish that can be served as a side dish along with pulaos and biryanis. It can aslo be served with rotis. The addition of pepper gives a unique taste to the Dish. Mutton Pepper Roast is another variation of Pepper Mutton available in this space.
Pepper Mutton Masala
- 400 Grams Mutton
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 2 Green Chillis
- ¾ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper Powder
- ¾ Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Thick Curd
- Coriander Leaves Fistful chopped
- Wash and clean the mutton Pieces and set aside.
- Slice the onion and chop the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add in Cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter.
- Add in Onion and green chillis and saute until the onion gets glossy.
- Add in tomatoes and salt to taste and saute until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add in turmeric powder, Garam Masala and Coriander powder and give a quick mix.
- Cook until all the masalas blend well.
- Add in Curd and saute for few minutes.
- Add in the mutton pieces. Add in salt to taste. Add in only limited water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 5 whistles or until the mutton gets soft.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and start heating.
- Add in the chopped coriander leaves. Cook until the water evaporates.
- Yummy Pepper Mutton Masala is now ready to serve.
- While sauting the pepper powder in oil take care not to burn it.
- Addition of Coconut Oil Gives unique flavour to this recipe.
- The mutton releases some water while pressure cooking. Since this is a semi gravy type recipe do not add more water while pressure cooking.
- We can also add in the required amount of water to make this masala into a gravy.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Pepper Mutton Masala:
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Cumin and Mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
2. Add in pepper powder and saute for 30 seconds. Take care not to burn the pepper. Add in onion and green chillis and saute them.
3. Saute until the onion gets glossy. Add in the chopped tomatoes. Add in salt to taste. saute until the tomatoes get mushy.
4. Add in coriander powder, Garam Masala Powder and Turmeric powder.
5. Saute until the masalas blend well. If the mixture is dry add in few spoons of water. After the masalas have blended well add in Curd. Mix well. Now blend the masalas well.
6. Add in the mutton. Add in salt to taste. Add in required water. Give a quick stir.
7. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles or until the mutton is cooked soft. Switch off the flame. Allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Start heating the mixture again. Add in chopped Coriander leaves.
8. Cook until the excess water evaporates.
Delicious Pepper Mutton fry is now ready to serve.