Shredded Fish Stir Fry / Vaalai Meen Puttu / Scrambled Ribbon Fish is an authentic South Indian Recipe. Fish puttu is steamed and scrambled fish. Generally Ribbon Fish/ Emperor Fish or Shark fish is suitable for this recipe. For any other fish follow this recipe Fish Podimas. I have made this recipe using Ribbon Fish. This fish has plenty of sharp bones which makes it difficult to consume this fish. Ribbon Fish is boiled and the bones are hand picked, and the flesh is scrambled and then tampered. This is even suitable for feeding kids as the bones are removed. Sura Puttu(Scrambled Shark) is the most popular recipe. This recipe is based on the Sura puttu(Scrambled Shark). There are many other fish varieties but the texture of those fishes are not suitable for this recipe. Fish Puttu is enjoyed as a side dish with Fish Curry and Rice.
Shredded Fish Stir Fry / Vaalai Meen Puttu/ Scrambled Ribbon Fish
- 250 Grams Ribbion Fish
- Tamarind Amla sized
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Urad Dal
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- Coriander Leaves Fistful Chopped
- 8 Small Onion
- Salt To Taste
- Water as required
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the water and extract the juice out of it. Discard the tamarind.
- Wash and clean the Ribbon fish.
- Take the fish in a Sauce Pan
- Add the tamarind juice into the fish.
- Add in the turmeric powder, Salt. Cook this for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame. Take the fish out of water and cool down the fish.
- Remove all the fish bones from the fish and shred them. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Let them splutter.
- Add in the onion and saute them until glossy.
- Add the scrambled fish and coconut into the onion. Saute in low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the masalas, Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Jeera powder and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix them well and saute until the raw smell is gone.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Fish Stir Fry is now ready to serve.
- Cooking this in a earthenware pot gives more flavour but this is completely optional.
- Shark and Ribbion Fish are suitable for this recipe.
Step by step photos on how to make Shredded Fish Stir Fry / Vaalai Meen Puttu/ Scrambled Ribbon Fish:
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the pulp. Set aside. Wash and clean the fish and set aside.
2. Clean and wash the fish. Add them into a saucepan.
3. Add the Turmeric paste, Salt to taste, Turmeric powder and required water and start cooking. When the fish is cooked soft switch off the flame. Remove the fish from water and allow it to cool down. Remove the bones from the fish and shred the flesh.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad dal and allow them to splutter. Add in onion and saute until glossy.
5. Add in the fish and mix gently. Add in the coconut. Saute for a minute. Add in the Chilli powder, Coriander powder and Cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix gently.
6. Cook until the masalas blend well. Finally garnish with coriander leaves. Switch off the flame.
Shredded fish fry is now ready to serve.