|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 min||| Total time:30 min|
|Recipe type: Main Course||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
|Taste: Tangy and Spicy|
Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
Thin Coconut milk – 1/2 Cup
Water – 1 cup
Onion – 1 Chopped
Tomato – 3 Chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Green Chilli – 2
Coriander leaves – 1/4 Cup
Mint Leaves – 1/2 Cup
For Spice Powder:
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cardamom – 3
Fennel seeds – 2 Teaspoon
Ghee – 1 Tablespoon
Oil – 1 Tablespoon
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Bay Leaf – 2 Small
Fennel Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
Black Cardamon – 3
Kal Paasi / Dagad Phool / Black stone flower-1 (optional)
- Heat a Heavy bottom pan and switch off heat/flame. Add the spices listed under spice powder and leave it for few mins. Grind them and set aside.
- Chop, onion and tomato and set aside.
- Heat Ghee in a pressure cooker. Add oil and Ghee. Add the ingredients listed under to tamper section. Roast them.
- Add onion and roast it. Add green chillies and ginger garlic paste and roast it.
- Add tomato and roast it. Add the coriander and mint leaves and roast it.
- Add the Spice Powder. Add rice. Add coconut milk and water.
- Pressure cook the mixture for 3 whistles in high flame.
- Tomato Briyani is now ready to serve.
Tomato Briyani tastes best at room temperature with any Veg kurma, or any Raitha. Serve Boiled egg with Tomato Briyani
- For Basmathi rice use Rice:Water in ratio 1:1.5. If using normal rice soak the rice for 15 minutes before cooking. Use rice:water in ratio 1:2.
- Tomato Pualao tastes best only at room temperature. Hence this is a suitable for lunch box recipe.
- Make sure tomatoes are sauted well so that it enhances the taste of the recipe.
- Use Ripe tomatoes which enhances the taste of the Briyani.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Tomato Briyani:
- Heat a heavy bottom vessel and add the ingredients listed under Spice powder section. This is to make the spices crispy.
- Grind the spices in a blender.
- Add Oil and Ghee in a Pressure cooker and heat it. Add the spices listed under to tamper section.
- Add Onion and roast it. Add Green Chillies, tomato, salt and roast it. Add Ginger Garlic Paste and roast it. Make sure the tomatoes are sauted well.
- Add Coriander and Mint leaves and roast it. Add the Spice Powder.
- Add the rice and mix it.
- Add the Coconut milk and water, salt to taste and pressure cook for 3 whistles in high flame.
- Wait until the pressure releases on its own and then open the pressure cooker. Wait until the rice reaches room temperature.
- Tomato Briyani is now ready.