Chutneys are simple Indian recipes which are generally had as dips along with breakfast main dishes like idli and Dosa. Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney is a spicy and tangy chutney. It can be done in less than 15 minutes. It comes handy on a busy weeday breakfast with idli or dosa or even upma. Its quick, super delicious and tempting to cook again and again. This chutney is apt to pack for a lunchbox or as a travel recipe. Here goes the recipe…
Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney
- 1 Tomato Ripe
- ⅓ Cup Shallots
- Coriander Leaves Fistful
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in shallots and saute until soft.
- Add in tomatoes and saute them.
- Add Green chilli, Ginger and salt to taste.
- Saute until tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add in Coriander Leaves and saute until the leaves shrink.
- Now switch off the flame and cool down the mixture.
- When the ingredients have reached the room temperature add them into a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
- For Tampering heat oil and add in mustard and urad dal and allow them to splutter.
- Add in Red chilli and Curry leaves and add the tampering into the chutney.
- Tomato chutney is now ready to serve.
- I prefer adding shallots. It can be replaced by 1 small onion.
- Ginger gives nice taste to the chutney so dont skip it.
- Tampering at the end is completely optional it is just used to add additional flavour to the chutney.
Step by step photos on how to make Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney:
- Heat oil in a pan add in the shallots and start sauting.
2. When the onion is sauted soft add in a roughly chopped tomato and slat to taste. Keep sauting.
3. Along with it add in green chilli and ginger.
4. Saute them. Add in a fistful of Coriander Leaves.
5. Saute until all of them are sauted well. Switch off the flame and cool down.
6. Blend into a smooth paste. For Tampering add in 1 tsp of oil in a tadka pan
7. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Add in Curry leaves.
8. Add the tampering into chutney.
I served this chutney with Cheese Capsicum omelette.