Chutneys are simple Indian recipes which are generally had as dips along with breakfast main dishes like idli and Dosa. Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney is a spicy and tangy chutney. It can be done in less than 15 minutes. It comes handy on a busy weeday breakfast with idli or dosa or even upma. Its quick, super delicious and tempting to cook again and again. This chutney is apt to pack for a lunchbox or as a travel recipe. Here goes the recipe…
Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney is a colorful, nutritious and delicious chutney.
- 1 Tomato Ripe
- 1/3 Cup Shallots
- Coriander Leaves Fistful
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
Heat oil in a wok. Add in shallots and saute until soft.
Add in tomatoes and saute them.
Add Green chilli, Ginger and salt to taste.
Saute until tomatoes are cooked well.
Add in Coriander Leaves and saute until the leaves shrink.
Now switch off the flame and cool down the mixture.
When the ingredients have reached the room temperature add them into a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
For Tampering heat oil and add in mustard and urad dal and allow them to splutter.
Add in Red chilli and Curry leaves and add the tampering into the chutney.
Tomato chutney is now ready to serve.
- I prefer adding shallots. It can be replaced by 1 small onion.
- Ginger gives nice taste to the chutney so dont skip it.
- Tampering at the end is completely optional it is just used to add additional flavour to the chutney.
Step by step photos on how to make Tomato Chutney / Thakkali Chutney:
- Heat oil in a pan add in the shallots and start sauting.
2. When the onion is sauted soft add in a roughly chopped tomato and slat to taste. Keep sauting.
3. Along with it add in green chilli and ginger.
4. Saute them. Add in a fistful of Coriander Leaves.
5. Saute until all of them are sauted well. Switch off the flame and cool down.
6. Blend into a smooth paste. For Tampering add in 1 tsp of oil in a tadka pan
7. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Add in Curry leaves.
8. Add the tampering into chutney.
I served this chutney with Cheese Capsicum omelette.