Urad Dal Kurma / Ulundhu Kurma is a simple variation from the other vegetable kurmas. Coconut or cashew paste is the main ingredient in a kurma. Any choice of veggies or meat is added to it. I have added sprouted Urad Dal with cashew paste. Urad Dal is said to improve womens health due to its high content of calcium. Why not make them into a kurma and add them into your lunch or dinner. Checkout other kurma recipes available in this space.
Urad Dal Kurma / Ulundhu Kurma
Urad Dal Kurma / Ulundhu Kurma is a healthy and filling side dish
- ½ Cup Urad Dal / Ulundhu
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ Cup Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 2 Green Chillis
- Salt To taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ inch Cinnamon
For White Paste
- ⅓ Cup Cashews
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 1 Black Stone Flower
- 2 Cloves
- Soak Urad Dal at least for 2 hours. Cook them with water and salt until soft.
- Soak cashews and Poppy seeds for at least 30 minutes. Blend them into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Fennel Seeds, Cinnamon, cloves, Bay Leaves, Black stone flower and fennel seeds. Saute until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in onion, green chillis and ginger garlic paste and saute them until glossy.
- Add in the white paste. Give a gentle stir. Add in required water. Add in salt to taste.
- Cook until they bled well.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve Urad dal kurma with rotis.
- While cooking urad dal do not make them mushy. It would spoil the taste of kurma.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Murungaikai Puttu / Drumstick Pulp stir fry
- Soak Urad Dal for atleast 2 hours. Cook them soft with salt. Drain the excess water and set them aside. Heat oil in a wok.
- Add in Bay Leaves cinnamon, Cloves, Star Anise, Black Stone flower and Fennel Seeds Saute until nice aroma comes out. Add on Chopped onion.
- Crush ginger and garlic and add them in. Saute until the onion gets glossy. Add in the cooked urad dal.
- Saute for few minutes. Soak Cashews and poppy seeds for atleast 30 minutes. Blend them into a smoothe paste.
- Add the paste into the urad dal. Add in required water. Add in salt to taste.
- Add in green chillis. Cook until the cashew paste and the masalas blend well. Garnish with coriander leaves and give a quick stir. Swithc off the flame.
- Serve them hot with rotis.