Valakkai Paruppu Usili / Raw Banana Paruppu Usili is a nutritious and tasty side dish
- 2 Raw Banana
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 Onion
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
- 3 Tablespoon Coriander Leavs Chopped
- 10 Tablespoon Toor Dal
- 4 Tablespoon Gram Dal
- 4 Tablespoon Moong Dal
- 5 Dry Red Chillis
- 1/2 Teaspoon Asafoetida Powder
- Salt To Taste
Soak the Dals along with the dry red chillis for 30 minutes.
Blend them into a smooth paste. Do not make it watery.
Add in salt and asafoetida powder and mix them gently.
Heat water in an idli pot. Grease the idli plates. Pour the batter into the idli plates.
Steam the idlis for 7 minutes. Insert a tooth pick into the idlis if they come out clean then they are ready. Switch off the flame and allow them to cool down.
scramble the idlis into smaller pieces. If required pulse them once in a blender.
Do not make it into a paste.
Heat oil in a wok and add in Mustard, Cumin and Urad Dal. Allow them to splutter.
Add in onion and saute until glossy. Add in curry Leaves and saute them.
Add in the Banana pieces and salt to taste. Saute them until the Bananas are cooked soft.
Add in the scrambled dal. Saute until they all blend well.
Delicious side dish is now ready to serve.
- After chopping the Raw Banana Place them in water or it turns dark.
- The Raw Banana is greasy while peepling hence grease your hands and knife with coconut oil so that the color does not stick everywhere.
- The amount of time required to steam the idlis depends on the size of the idlis. Mine is medium sized and it took 7 minutes to cook.
- Scramble the idlis after they cool down or it would not scramble properly.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Valakkai Paruppu Usili / Raw Banana Paruppu Usili:
- Peel and remove the skin from the raw banana. Chop them into smaller pieces.
- Soak all the dals along with dry red chillis in water for 30 minutes. Then blend them in a blender into a smooth paste with limited water. Do not make it watery.
- Add Salt and Asafoetida powder into the batter and mix gently.
- Grease the idli plates. Pour the batter into the idli plates. Place them into the hot steaming idli pot.
- Close the idli pot and steam for 7 minutes. Insert a tooth pick in one of the idlis and if the stick comes out clean the idlis are ready. Now switch off the flame and cool these idlis down.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard, Urad Dal and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add in onion and saute until glossy.
- Add in Curry Leaves and Gently stir them. Add in the chopped raw banana and saute them. Add in salt to taste. Saute until the Bananas cooks well.
- Now scramble the dal idlis into small pieces. It can also be made by pulsing in the blender. Do not make it into a paste. Add the scrambled dal into the Raw banana.
- Gently mix them. Keep stirring for 3 to 4 miutes until they blend well. Finally garnish with Coriander leaves. Give a quick stir.Raw Banana Paruppu usili is now ready to serve.
- Valakkai Paruppu Usili / Raw Banana Paruppu Usili goes well with Rasam rice, Curd Rice etc