Potato Chicken Curry / Chicken Gravy
Recipe type: Side Dish | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 2
Chicken – 500 grams
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoo
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tablespoon
Thin Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
Thick Coconut Milk – 3/4 Cup
Onion – 1 big or 15 small chopped
Tomato – 1 big chopped
Curry Leaves – a spring
Potatoes – 1 big
Pepper Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – a generous pinch
Garam Masala – 1.5 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Water – as required
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Small onion – 6 chopped
Curry Leaves fistful
Step by Step Photos on how to make Potato Chicken Curry / Chicken Gravy
- Heat Oil in a Wok. Add in Mustard and Fennel Seeds and allow to splutter. Add in onion and saute until glossy. Add in Tomatoes and salt and saute until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes off. Add in chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add in Garam Masala Powder, Coriander Powder and Pepper powder.
- Give a quick stir and cook until the raw smell leaves. Add in the chopped potatoes and give a quick stir. Add in the Chicken.
- Give a quick stir. Add in the thin coconut milk and start cooking.
- Close the Wok and keep cooking until the chicken cooks soft. Stir occasionally. If you wish to pressure cook at this point the chicken mixture can be pressure cooked. After it is cooked soft add in curry Leaves.
- Cook for few mins. Add in the thick coconut milk. Cook until the oil seperates in the sides of the vessel.
- For tampering heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and jeera and allow it to splutter. Add in onion and saute until glossy. Add in curry leaves and saute them. Add the tampered mixture into the chicken curry. Delicious chicken is now ready to serve.
- I personally do not prefer cooking in Pressure cooker. I always prefer a open Wok. As because i feel it tastes better.
- Add water only if required.
- This can also be prepared as a thick gravy for side dish.
- Since chicken pieces take more time to cook then Chopping potatoes into bigger pieces is a better idea.