Black Rice is one of the most healthy rice recipe. Black rice is also called as Purple Rice. It has a beautiful purple color when cooked. It has a nice flavour and nutty texture. Black rice takes a bit more time to cook. Hence it is a good idea to cook the rice in a pressure cooker. Black Rice Kheer / Kavuni Arisi Payasam / Karuppu Arisi Payasam is one of the delicious Kheer recipes among other kheer Recipes. This Black Rice Kheer Can be classified as a healthy dessert.
Black Rice Kheer/ Kavuni Arisi Payasam / Karuppu Arisi Payasam
Black Rice Kheer / Kavuni Arisi Payasam / Karuppu Arisi Payasam is a Healthy dessert.
For Cooking Rice
- ½ Cup Rice
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 10 Cashews
- ½ Teaspoon Cardamom Powdered
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- Add Rice and water into a pressure cooker. Pressure cook in medium flame upto 4 whistles. Switch off the flame.
- After the pressure is released open the pressure cooker. Allow the rice to cool down.
- Blen the rice into a paste.
- Heat milk in another sauce pan. When the milk starts boiling add in the Black Rice paste, salt and sugar.
- Keep cooking until the Kheer thickens.
- Add in Cardamom Powder. Add in Ghee. Cook for few more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with roasted cashews.
- While blending the rice need not blend it very smooth.
- Any choice of nuts can be used for garnishing.
- The Kheer must be in pudding consistency. Keep Cooking until the Kheer reaches pudding consistency.
- The mixture thickens when it cools down hence adjust the consistency according.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Black Rice Kheer / Kavuni Arisi Payasam / Karuppu Arisi Payasam
- Wash and Clean the Black Rice. Soak in water for 4 hours. Add them into a pressure cooker with enough water. Pressure cook for 4 whistles in low flame. Switch off the flame. After the pressure is released open the pressure cooker. Cool down the rice.
- Blend the rice into a paste. Heat milk in a pan.
- When the milk starts boiling add in the rice paste and sugar. Allow them to simmer for few minutes. The Kheer is not water nor thick. So allow to boil until it reaches a little thicker consistency. Add in cardamom powder. Add in ghee. Cook for 2 or three minutes until the ghee blends.
- Garnish with Roasted Cashew. Switch off the flame.
- Black Rice Kheer tastes good when served hot or cold.
- Delicious and Healthy dessert is now ready to serve.