Chettinad Chicken Gravy
|Marination time: 30 Min||| Cook time: 30 Min||| Total time:1 Hr|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
Chicken – 500 grams
Onion – 2 small or shallots – 15
Tomato – 1
Curry Leaves – few
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoon
Water – 1 Cup
Salt to Taste
For Chettinad Masala:
Coriander Seeds – 3 tablespoon
Fennel Seeds – 1 tablespoon
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Coconut – 1/3 Cup
Dry red Chillies – 5
Peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 3
Cardamom – 3
Black Stone flower – 1
Star Anise – 1
Water – 1/4 Cup
Lemon – squeeed out from half lemon
Salt – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
Step by Step Photos on how to make Chettinad Chicken Gravy :
- Add the Ingredients listed under “for marination” in a bowl and mix them well. Add the chicken pieces into it. Marinate the chicken for atleast 30 minutes.
- Take the ingredients listed under chettinad masala and dry roast them. Roast each item separately.
- Combine all the dry roasted ingredients for chettinad masala and add water and grind them in a mixer/blender.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and saute them until glossy. Add curry leaves and saute them. Add tomateoes and a pinch of salt and saute them until mushy.
- Add the ground masala into the tomato mixture. Add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame. Add salt to taste . Add the marinated chicken and cook them.
- Allow it to cook until the chicken is cooked well and the oil seperates in the sides of the vessel. Once it is done switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves. Keep it closed for 10 minutes. Tasty Chettinad Masala ready to serve.
- Traditionally dry red chillis are roasted and added for chettinad masala. But if you need a reddish color add the Kashmiri chilli powder.
- If you wish to pressure cook the chicken then pressure cook for 3 whistles and add the chicken in to the masala.
Chettinad Chicken gravy can be served as a side dish for Rice, Roti, Idli and Dosa.