Squid Fry / Kanava Fry is a south Indian delicacy prepared by marinating squid in spice powders shallow fried and mixed with masala and stir fried until dry. It becomes a tender and delicious dish. Do not overcook the squid as it might get hard. Except for the cleaning part the squid fry is very simple to prepare.
Squid Fry / Kanava Fry
- ½ Kg Squid Washed and Cleaned
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoon Oil for frying squid
- 1 Tablespoon Oil for sauting onion
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 10 Shallots Chopped
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chilli
- ½ Teaspoon Fennel Powder
- Wash and clean the Squid. Add them into a mixing bowl.
- Add in Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Turmeric powder, Lemon Juice and salt to taste.
- Mix them gently and let it marinate atleast for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in oil. Add in the marinated squid and start frying it.
- It releases water so add water only if necessary. After the water evaporated. Switch off the flame and set it aside.
- Heat oil in another wok and add in mustard. Allow them to splutter.
- Add in shallots, Curry Leaves and Green chill. Saute them.
- Add in salt to taste. Add in fennel powder and saute for few minutes.
- Add in the Fried squid. Cook until they blend well.
- Squid fry is now ready to serve.
Step by step photos on how to make Squid Fry / Kanava Fry:
- Wash clean and chop the squid into square shaped pieces. Take them in a mixing bowl. Add in Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
2. Add in Coriander Powder and Pepper Powder.
3. Add in Turmeric Powder and Lemon Juice.
4. Mix well and let it marinate for atleast 30 minutes. Heat oil in a wok for deep frying.
5. Add in the marinated Squid. Add in salt to taste.
6. Cook until the squid is cooked well. It releases waste. Cook until all the water evaporates. Switch off the flame and set it aside.
7. Heat oil in another wok. Add in oil and heat it. Add in mustard and allow it to splutter. Add in chopped onion and saute them.
8. Add in green chilli and curry leaves and saute them. Add salt to taste.
9. when the onion is sauted well. Add in Fennel powder and Salt to taste.
10. Add in the sauted Squid fry. Mix gently and saute for few minutes.
Yumm Squid Fry is now ready to serve.