Bottle Gourd Curry / Sorakkai Kottu is Cooking Bottle Gourd with Lentils, spices and Coconut. This is a south indian style side dish recipe that is served along with steamed rice. Kootu is a lentil based south indian recipe where vegetables like Cabbage, Pumpkin, RidgeGourd, Raw Banana or any other veggies are cooked with lentils and spices.
Bottle Gourd Curry / Surakkai Kottu
Bottle Gourd Curry / Surakkai Kottu is a healthy and nutritious curry recipe to be served along with rice.
- 1 Cup Bottle Gourd Peeled and Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 10 Shallots Chopped
- 3 Pods Garlic Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 3 Tablespoon Coconut Grated
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Moong Dal
- Salt to taste
- Soak Moong dal in Water for 15 minutes. Set it aside.
For the Coconut Paste
- Add in Coconut, Pepper and required water into a blender and blend it into a smooth paste.
For Bottle Gourd Curry
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add Mustard and Cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in chopped onion and garlic and saute until onion gets glossy.
- Add in Green Chilli.. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in Chopped Bottle Gourd and keep sauting.
- Drain the excess water from the moong dal and add them in.
- Add in Pepper Powder, Turmeric Powder and salt to taste. Cook until the vegetable is cooked 75%
- Add in tomatoes and cook until the masalas blend well.
- Finally add in the coconut paste and keep cooking until they blend well with each other.
- Nutritious Bottle Gourd Curry is now ready to serve.
Step by step Photos
For Preparing BottleGourd Kurma first prepare a coconut paste and set it aside.
Bottle Gourd Curry is now ready to Serve
- I used a heavy bottom stainless steel cook pot for this recipe. This one heats up easily and retains heat. After Preheating i prepared this recipe completely in medium to low flame.
- If the mixture gets dry sprinkle water so that the vegetables do not stick to the cook pot.
- While buying Bottle Gourd choose tender, Pale Green, Firm ones that are suitable for this recipe. Avoid Soft bottle Gourd
- Peel the skin and chop them. If the seeds are large cut the portion lengthwise and discard them.
Leave a Reply