Chicken Salna is a watery gravy recipe that is generally prepared with Chicken Stock and is served alongside hot Parotta, Dosas, Idli, Chapathi and Uttapam. It is served with biryani as well. Salna is generally prepared as a thin Gravy from the Chicken stock with the Coconut and Cashew/Peanut paste added to it.
- Wash and Clean the Chicken Pieces and Set it aside.
- Soak Poppy seed in hot water before 30 minutes.
- Chop Onion and Tomatoes. Get Ready with the Ginger Garlic Paste.
Chicken Salna is a watery gravy prepared with Chicken Stock and Coconut Paste. It is served as a gravy along with Idli, Dosa and Parottas
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Star Anise
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Javithri
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 big Tomato Chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 250 Grams Chicken
For Coconut Paste
- 2 tblspn Roased Channa Dal
- 2 Tablespoon Roasted Peanut
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Grated
- 2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Groundnut Oil
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Bay Leaves, Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Javithri, star Anise and saute them until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in onion and saute until glossy.
- Add in Chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. Saute until mushy.
- Add in Ginger Garlic Paste and saute until it is cooked well.
- Add in Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Pepper Powder, Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala Powder and salt to taste.
- Saute until the mixture is cooked well.
- Add in the Chicken pieces and saute well.
For Preparing the coconut paste.
- Soak Poppy seeds in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Add in Poppy seeds, Roasted Peanut, Roasted Gram Dal, Coconut, Fennel Seeds into a blender. Blend them into a smooth paste with limited water.
- Add the Paste into the Chicken salna. Mix them. Since salna is a thin Gravy Adjust the water accordingly.
- Add in salt to taste. Pressure Cook for 5 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the Pressure Cooker. Allow the pressure to release on its own.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add in Chilli Powder and Curry Leaves.
- Roast them in low flame. Do not allow it to burn.
- Add them into the salna.
- Flavourful chicken salna is now ready to serve.
Step by step photos
For Preparing the Coconut Paste
Delicious Chicken Curry is now ready to serve.
- Use Chicken with Bones. This is very Suitable for this Gravy.
- Salna is a thin gravy so adjust the water Consistency accordingly.
- Peanut Oil is best suited for this recipe. If you don't have access to peanut oil you can use any neutral oil
Leave a Reply